How true is this...gents be honest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I got out of the Corps, I was 6' and 165# of lean. When I met my wife 6 years later, I still had a 32" waist. Now it's a 40 and I'm near as makes no difference to two-fiddy. I held the line for may years at 225, but retiring from competitive shooting blew even that desperate line.

I'd love to see the slim side of 200 some day, but I'm too damned tired and busy to get there from here. I don't know if it's married life or just age, but the extra weight plain sucks! :(

When I graduated high school in 1964, I was 5' 8" and weighed 135 lbs. Went into Basic Training in January of 1966 and was told they would take weight off of me and have me in better shape than I ever was. I gained 10 lbs and was in worse shape based on the results of the three PT tests we took over the course of Basic. (They didn't know that I was bucking bales on the farm just prior to joining the Army.)

Hung onto the 145 lbs until sometime in the late '80's/early '90's and gained maybe 5 pounds. Along came April of 2003 and I quit smoking...

...now weigh about 227 lbs. Wife and I have both been trying to lose weight (I have lost 10 pounds), and she wants me down to about 190.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I graduated high school in 1964, I was 5' 8" and weighed 135 lbs. Went into Basic Training in January of 1966 and was told they would take weight off of me and have me in better shape than I ever was. I gained 10 lbs and was in worse shape based on the results of the three PT tests we took over the course of Basic. (They didn't know that I was bucking bales on the farm just prior to joining the Army.)

Hung onto the 145 lbs until sometime in the late '80's/early '90's and gained maybe 5 pounds. Along came April of 2003 and I quit smoking...

...now weigh about 227 lbs. Wife and I have both been trying to lose weight (I have lost 10 pounds), and she wants me down to about 190.
Soooooo, you're looking to haul some squares this summer. I'll make a note.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have gotten down to a thinner 6' 195 again, got up close to 205 for a while. I regulate mine by just almost stop eating all grains, breads, pastas, cereals, and foods that contain grains pretty diligently for a couple months. If you look at labels, half the stuff in a grocery store have grains added as fillers, which puts those "fillers" on me.

I go to eating all I want of meat, potatoes, cheese, eggs, and vegies. Works for me. Been fortunate enough that I have never had a sweet tooth, so I drink a lot of nonsweet iced tea daily. Now if I could just find a way to re arrange the muscles I have lost that seemed to have reformed in my beer gut area I might get back back in shape. Ha Ha I do get soft in the winter.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got married at 168 and now weight close to 190#. She doesn't want me running off but I can roll off! While we're on the subject, I think home cooking is nearly a lost art in some circles because both mom and dad work and mom stops by Whataburger on the way home from work and picks up supper for the husband and kids. No one cooks much anymore and if the economy falls and the fast food joints close our nation is in a heap of trouble. Buy stock in Betty Cooker's Crockoff book! It will be a sellout!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soooooo, you're looking to haul some squares this summer. I'll make a note.
I only cut, rake, and bale 'em. I get someone else to buck 'em. At least, most of 'em.

About 25 years ago, I met an Aussie trucker who told me "with 20 years of abuse and neglect, you, too, can have a body like this."

Challenge accomplished...

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only cut, rake, and bale 'em. I get someone else to buck 'em. At least, most of 'em.

About 25 years ago, I met an Aussie trucker who told me "with 20 years of abuse and neglect, you, too, can have a body like this."

Challenge accomplished...
I agree!! We mow, rack and bale. The Dutchmen come pick em up and put em in the barn. We only square 1500ish so they haul em in just a couple hours.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree!! We mow, rack and bale. The Dutchmen come pick em up and put em in the barn. We only square 1500ish so they haul em in just a couple hours.

Wow!! Back in our day, we had a farm truck and a trailer made from a farm truck hooked together. Each load was only about 300 bales, and some of our "hauling" was about 15 to 20 miles away. No way we would do 1500 in a couple of hours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom