Howa mini action 6.5 Grendel build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary@CCWsafe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 10 year old daughter took her first buck with one of my AR's. I had her using a Ruger American 300 BO that belongs to my brother but it didnt fit her well. Couldn't find a bolt gun with stock adjustability. So I decided to put something together. Brownells has the Howa 1500 Mini action barreled actions 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel on sale for $359 plus a black Monday 10% plus free shipping. MDT had their LSS chassis on sale for $269 ($399 at Brownells). The chassis uses any AR collapsing stock. I have half a dozen stocks and buffer tubes laying around. I have been shooting Grendel through AR platform for a couple years and we are set up to reload. All I need now is a bargain on a decent 4-12 (anyone have anything they dont need??) or similar scope and to talk her out of muddy girl pink camo cerakote that I consented to in a moment of weakness.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should be a great setup for her! I have a few 1500 barreled actions from Brownells, I'm a fan...

Talk her out of the pink camo, have her pick out her bolt pattern and have LRI flute it for her instead :-)

Gary@CCWsafe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a bolt flute and tactical bolt knob will be on the list. I have never used LRI. Has anyone tried Steve Baldwin in Jones for bolt work. Last time I was in his shop he was fluting some barrels.

Should be a great setup for her! I have a few 1500 barreled actions from Brownells, I'm a fan...

Talk her out of the pink camo, have her pick out her bolt pattern and have LRI flute it for her instead :-)

Gary@CCWsafe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MDT chassis showed up this weekend. Looks good. I think I will be shooting it as much as her. Now to decide on an optic. Looking for a 4-16. Considering the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 first focal plan. I have an older Kahles 6x that will go on it for testing until I settle on something.

47202654_10217524199167126_6940941143479681024_o.jpg

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice rifle! I’m a huge Vortex fan, but I’m of the opinion that a rifle that nice needs a step up from the Diamondback line. Of course, I don’t have to front the money.....

Best o’ luck to you, Merry Christmas and happy shuutin’!