How's everybody's garden doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I have a small garden. This is the first one we have done. Decided to do 2 raised beds 2'Wx6'Lx1'H We planted 2 kinds of watermelon, squash, musk melon, 5 or so variety of tomatoes, 4 kinds of bell peppers, and 2 kinds of cucumbers... We also got 2 blueberry bushes planted in the corner of the yard.... Well the tomatoes took off like gang busters, which put the peppers in complete shade so the peppers haven't produced anything. finally got a couple watermelon going but don't know if they will survive. Had one musk melon but I checked the other day and it was the size of a grape but the branch feeding it was dying and so was the fruit. Cucumbers were going strong, but the ones high on the vine started dying. We have a few left. Only got 1 squash so far. Tomatoes are producing well... This has been a learning curve for sure. I am in a loosing war with ants and aphids right now all over the watermelon. We heard lady bugs would help control the aphids, but after putting some in the garden It didn't make a dent. I'm gonna try soap and water later. Really enjoy the garden.
You have too much stuff for that small area.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Three bell pepper plants.

One bell pepper has been growing since mid-May. No other fruit has been forthcoming.

It FINALLY started changing color to orange yesterday! It's been the size of a softball for a month with no change until now.

Sheesh.

2 zucchini plants. Got one fruit, about 8 inches long. Then both plants died within a day of harvesting from some kind of stem-rot.

3 squash plants. Died without fruit.

2 cucumber plants. A little 4" cuke growing on one.

1 large watermelon plant growing frigging EVERYwhere... had about a 3" oblong watermelon that rotted. Now another suspended at about 2" long 1 foot in the air in my tomato plants.

Tomatoes are going insane. The only really productive plants in our bed.

Sheesh.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cucumber plant has been doing well. The tomatoes are going nuts, but I'm down to one plant. Tobacco worm ate my other one. I killed the little SOB with the tomato he was eating. I've pulled 4 eggplants off my one little plant & it has a few more it wants to give me. Two bell pepper plants & I am loving all the peppers! My soil must be wrong for my cantaloupe because the plant is going crazy but no melons. Other than that, my onions were tasty, but small because I planted way late.

I've just got to convince hubby that I need a bigger area of the yard to plant more :) or maybe we just need to move so I can really go big!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1 large watermelon plant growing frigging EVERYwhere... had about a 3" oblong watermelon that rotted. Now another suspended at about 2" long 1 foot in the air in my tomato plants.

I found out the hard way after several years of trying to grow watermelons that they don't need the water you think they do.

I had dozens rot on the vine by over watering.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a size 13 shoe beside it. Missed picking a few times I guess

10343691_10154399284230717_3782861193929549937_n.jpg

The rest of last nights harvest.

10552603_10154399284395717_3838420915772576754_n.jpg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take them huge squashes and cut in half. Pick out the seed and let dry for next spring planting

Squash, zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes doing great. Green beans good but no harvest yet. First time to plant tomatillos, 1 plant but it is huge and co ered with fruit.

Invasion of the squash bugs this morning. Turned the chickens out. They after the squash bugs and then moved throughout the yard annihilating grasshoppers. They is happy happy happy and haven't bothered anything else in the garden.

Giant sunflowers are opened and looking good.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My cucumber plant has been doing well. The tomatoes are going nuts, but I'm down to one plant. Tobacco worm ate my other one. I killed the little SOB with the tomato he was eating. I've pulled 4 eggplants off my one little plant & it has a few more it wants to give me. Two bell pepper plants & I am loving all the peppers! My soil must be wrong for my cantaloupe because the plant is going crazy but no melons. Other than that, my onions were tasty, but small because I planted way late.

I've just got to convince hubby that I need a bigger area of the yard to plant more :) or maybe we just need to move so I can really go big!

Our onions are small as well, and we too planted later than usual! But out Tomato's are bumper crop this year!

Latest posts

Top Bottom