Hummingbird 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
One minute after I posted above
5FAF1AA9-C596-47D8-A07E-F113B5A3EE5B.jpeg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting a male and a female coming in at different times. Hopefully they have a nest nearby. The new house doesn’t have any mature trees nearby but just goes to show, if you get a feeder out they’ll find it
The only nest I ever saw was when we went on a trip to Colorado with some friends. We rented a log cabin for one night, and the nest was under the porch roof.

So they don't necessarily require trees. :D

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New pic on the other feeder
View attachment 205218

I’ve never seen a feeder like that. Is it only a foot or so off the ground?

A side note - I had 2 or 3 ruby males and 1 black-chinned frequently at my feeders last week. I haven’t seen any of them in the last couple of days. The feeders looked clean, but I cleaned them again yesterday and put out new nectar.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a feeder like that. Is it only a foot or so off the ground?

A side note - I had 2 or 3 ruby males and 1 black-chinned frequently at my feeders last week. I haven’t seen any of them in the last couple of days. The feeders looked clean, but I cleaned them again yesterday and put out new nectar.
Nah, just the zoom effect on the pic. I think we have a black chinned too. His chin patch is not iridescent at all. Just looks black to me.
The one time my wife drug me to Affair of the Heart, the only things that caught my attention were salsa and that feeder. The birds seem to like all the options to feed. They fight less over the holes.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you supposed to change out the water / sugar mix? Wifey leaves it up for a day or two then washes the whole thing and refills it with new.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you supposed to change out the water / sugar mix? Wifey leaves it up for a day or two then washes the whole thing and refills it with new.

That is good. I let mine go for about a week and then clean and replace the sugar / water mix. If I let it go much longer, I start getting a black mold or something growing in the feeder that seems to turn the birds off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom