Hunting Reg Question (Youth)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so this last Sat, during the youth season, I took my 14 year old nephew out. We got him a $10 turkey tag, but no hunting license, as per the regs as I read them, since he is under 16.

Now, for him to hunt with me this coming weekend, during the regular season, does he have to have a hunting license too, and first go to hunter safety ed?

What if he's with me the whole time, supervised; does that make any difference?

Also, can he use that same tag, since it was unfilled, or does he need a different turkey tag?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, so this last Sat, during the youth season, I took my 14 year old nephew out. We got him a $10 turkey tag, but no hunting license, as per the regs as I read them, since he is under 16.

Now, for him to hunt with me this coming weekend, during the regular season, does he have to have a hunting license too, and first go to hunter safety ed?

What if he's with me the whole time, supervised; does that make any difference?

Also, can he use that same tag, since it was unfilled, or does he need a different turkey tag?

Since he's under 16 he will not need a hunting license.

The tag is valid for the remainder of the season or until he gets a turkey, then he will need another tag if he wants to continue hunting.

As long as he is with you he can hunt anything except for Deer, Elk, or Antelope without the Hunter's Saftey Card.

Great job on getting him out in the woods!!!!! :clap3:

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since he's under 16 he will not need a hunting license.

The tag is valid for the remainder of the season or until he gets a turkey, then he will need another tag if he wants to continue hunting.

As long as he is with you he can hunt anything except for Deer, Elk, or Antelope without the Hunter's Saftey Card.

Great job on getting him out in the woods!!!!! :clap3:

When I printed mine daughters off from the Wildlife Department and did not input a Hunters Saftey number it automatically printed "Apprentice" on the tag. This is straight from the regs:

Not hunter education certified: You can buy any hunting license (if required), but the license will have an apprentice designation (at no extra cost) and have accompanying hunter requirements (see text below.)

• When hunting:
◊ Big game (deer, elk, and antelope) – “accompanying hunter” shall be within arm’s length of the apprentice hunter or close enough to take immediate control of the firearm or archery equipment of the apprentice.
◊ Small game (including turkey) – “accompanying hunter” shall be in sight of and be able to communicate with the apprentice hunter in a normal voice without the aid of any communication device. When a license is not required (residents under 16 years of age, nonresidents under 14 years of age), the hunter must still be accompanied

Here is the link: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/apprentice.pdf

Latest posts

Top Bottom