Hunting Rifles - Need a new one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alright my fellow OSA folks, I am in need of a new hunting rifle. I have a Remington 700 in .308 and a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Black rifles in 5.56/7.62x39 and .300BLK. Looking to hunt anything in Oklahoma from Yotes to Elk, on my farm as well as Fort Sill. I am open to all information on calibers and brands. Help a fella out will ya. What would you buy if you wanted a new hunting rig?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .308 can take down about everything that breathes but a bit much for small game. I don't really know of a perfect, one size fits all, gun.
A good 30-30 is hard to beat. Accurate, easy to handle and gets the job done from deer on down. Now if you're going after Grizz, make the first shot count.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have had the .308 for a while and it is a great gun. The itch has struck and I really have little experience with hunting rifles other than those two.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had the .308 for a while and it is a great gun. The itch has struck and I really have little experience with hunting rifles other than those two.
I grew up hunting with a 30-06 and 30-30. The .308 was new to me as is the 6.5. The 30-06 is a great gun and cal. I think it's great and I love it. Mine will beat you to death if you take it to the range thinking you're going to drop a bunch of brass but it's for hunting so just sighting in is about the extent of range time.
I think the 30-06 has been all but forgotten and that's too bad. It's not cool anymore. It may not be cool but it should be. I think it's more versatile round. The Ballistics are solid and there's nothing quite like firing an old bolt action on a cold ass day deep in the woods. They were heavy and if you ran out of ammo you could beat the damn buck to death with the stock and not even crack it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom