Hunting Rifles - Need a new one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old bullets still work too. Sierra Game King, Nosler Partition, Speer Hot Core, and I'm pretty sure I saw some Remington Core-Lokt for sale the other day. My point was that shooting game with a FMJ match bullet was his problem, not his caliber choice.

I agree, but it put a sour on me for that caliber forever. I couldn't get any hunting round to shoot out of that thing! I used that rifle in Missouri where my setup usually presented a 300 to 400 yard shot. To the OP, The 30-06 is a deer dropper plain and simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My BLR 308 has not lost a deer yet unless I missed. Shoot Hornady light mags or superformance they also gave me the best groups better than any hand load I tried working up

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If elk is definitely on the list, I'd say a 260 or 7mm-08 for factory offerings...I have a 6.5-06 that I love, but have never tried it (or anything else) on elk, just deer and coyotes...I'm not a fan of the 270's recoil, probably dislike them as bad as Bowhunter does 308's LOL...if you reload, the sky's the limit on wildcats I bet!

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't usually get in on these conversations because caliber likes and dislikes are so subjective. But, I have killed many Bull Elk with everything from the .257 Roberts to 375 H&H Mag. I am not a magnum fanboy but must admit a .338 or .375 works well in the mountains. I lived there for several years before returning to Oklahoma in the early eighties. A main consideration should be on how you prefer to hunt. My longest elk shot in all those years was 92 paces and deer was 175 running I preferred to get up close and personal in the black timber with the Elk. Never saw much that excited me about sitting in a spot and pot shooting from a distance. In those years the most popular and efficient rifle in the hands of locals was a .308 and the most lost game came from those shooting .243's. The Browning BLR was a very popular rifle with the locals. It became my go to rifle for everything but not in .308. My favorite cartridge was it's little big brother, the .358 Winchester. I owned that caliber in levers and bolts and never had less than two of them in my gun safe till last year. I no longer hunt deer or elk and a friend from Oregon talked me out of my then current BLR take-down in .358 so he could carry it in a checked suitcase to Alaska for Moose. He got a fine one with it too. Not a lot of factory ammo available but it is a handloaders dream. I have a stash of Hornady factory in the safe. That caliber kills everything I have shot at very efficiently. Killed the only hog I ever shot like the hammer of Thor. I'll be 75 yrs old in a couple of weeks and will have my backup .358 for sale along with the few guns I have left. My son died before me so I have nobody to pass them on to. My grandkids aren't interested in hunting or guns and i actually think that's good. It will save them lots of $$ over their lifetime. I'll not advertise in this thread but all I'm gonna keep are a couple of my SIGs for carry and my Beretta SxS for the few bird trips Bea and I will make. Watch the ads later for my unfired back up. It will make someone a super Oklahoma thumper if they like a bolt rifle. BTW, Jack O'Conner heavily influenced my long time hunting partner back then and he took several with his .270 - just gotta use the right bullets for whatever cartridge you choose.

Attachments

• 358.jpg
    358.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 146

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Shot a 30-06, 270, 375 HandH and a 338 Win Mag today. My favorite was a Ruger SS model in .338, felt good, but a good kick as well, really liked it. Here is a pick off the net of what I shot today.
84847.jpg

Gonna try a few more this week if I can find the time like a 25-06 and a 7mm Mag. So far though this is my choice.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot a 30-06, 270, 375 HandH and a 338 Win Mag today. My favorite was a Ruger SS model in .338, felt good, but a good kick as well, really liked it. Here is a pick off the net of what I shot today.
84847.jpg

Gonna try a few more this week if I can find the time like a 25-06 and a 7mm Mag. So far though this is my choice.
I am not a fan of Ruger Rifles. I have had few and killed several deer with a Ruger, but I do not care for the way it bolts into a stock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom