Hypothetical conflict

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRulingFool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The oath of office of the President is as follows:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Why, then, has no one questioned the President or lawmakers when they enact and enforce legislation that flies in the face of our Constitutional rights? Would it be a stretch to say that Presidents have been violating or failing to uphold the oath of the office that they hold? And if that's the case, would they be culpable for violating the highest law of the land? What sort of penalty should that carry?

:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:
I firmly believe that everyone involved in government that has some issue with our Constitutional rights (Second Amendment, anyone?) should take their wonderful selves to a country that agrees with them, and enjoy themselves... and in so doing, keep off our lawn. I am sick of seeing lawyers and judges and those in government acting like things that should be VERY clear are really that complicated. "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Is that REALLY that hard to understand? There are many examples of the founding fathers' intent on the matter. It's not that damn complicated.
:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here, Here, I also concur with your sentiments. The second amendment and it's meaning only gets blurry when someone wants it to mean something else like confining it to a well regulated militia. They want it to mean that the federal government will regulate it like they do everything else in our lives. We the american people are just too stupid to manage ourselves in their eyes. What they would really like to do is to say that our original constitution is outdated and write a whole new constitution. Thanks to our founding fathers the original will never be outdated.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why, then, has no one questioned the President or lawmakers when they enact and enforce legislation that flies in the face of our Constitutional rights?
Ummm...

...because the ones that need to be taken to task are also the ones that would have to take them to task?

The only power/right we have left is the power of the vote and now with ACORN around as the administration's personal brown shirts we may not even have that any more.

We live in interesting times for sure.

catPopper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taken as a group,the American people really are that stupid. Just look at how they vote(if they do vote). Year after year they ask,yea demand government at local,state,and federal levels do more,more ,more for me,me,me.Never seeming to realize what it costs everyone in dollars,time and freedom.The population only wants to be taken care of, and appearantly,liberty be damned. The American people are getting exactly what they're asking for.

WaylonCash

Marksman
Reaction score
Taken as a group,the American people really are that stupid. Just look at how they vote(if they do vote). Year after year they ask,yea demand government at local,state,and federal levels do more,more ,more for me,me,me.Never seeming to realize what it costs everyone in dollars,time and freedom.The population only wants to be taken care of, and appearantly,liberty be damned. The American people are getting exactly what they're asking for.

Exactly! THeres nothing I hate more than when someone claims who they are voting for, then has no idea where they stand. I think we all saw this with the Obama election. out of the 60+ million votes he received I would be willing to bet that no more than 10% knew any of the issues, well other than "Change".

Is there any way to enact voter registration testing? Topics could be history, constitution, current afairs, etc... With this in place the GOP would never lose!

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I completely agree with the OP's perspective, you have to remember one thing: the Constitution is subject the the person (taking the oath) and their perception of what the constitution means.

Politicians have been warping the constitution with rationalized/revisionist perspectives for a very long time. Even if they were to be "true scholars" of the constitution, there still would be confusion on exactly what it says.

This is why we have the three separate branches of the .gov (balance of powers, in theory, thinking we're going into a time where we'll see imbalance of powers and "one ring to rule them all"....) AND the ability to vote.

The American people will have to first WANT smaller government before they will truly vote for it. I'd like to believe that our people appreciate freedom more than they would a handout, but so far my desired beliefs are being crushed by a harsh, gimme-gimme, reality right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom