I am out of control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two 91/30s and have only fired one very little. I just seem to take other guns to the range instead but at least one of them will accompany me on my next trip out there.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a younger man at the range yesterday with quite the setup: 3 AKs and a Mosin. It looked like he had the Mosin running really good, no struggle at all with the bolt, he seemed very comfortable with the weapon. I can't wait to do my sporter version. Will post detailed step by step process once I get started, I think you all are going to like this one.

Jeff

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a younger man at the range yesterday with quite the setup: 3 AKs and a Mosin. It looked like he had the Mosin running really good, no struggle at all with the bolt, he seemed very comfortable with the weapon. I can't wait to do my sporter version. Will post detailed step by step process once I get started, I think you all are going to like this one.

Jeff

Well can you post pics before you start in on it? Might have something valuable.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my mosin nagant scout carbine

i.imgur.com_0dvUd.jpg

I want to buy another mosin nagant soon so I channel my inner bubba and create version 2 of the scout carbine. Version 2 will have a collapsible M4 stock, pistol grip, bipod/vertgrip/afg, and possibly even weld up a removable 10-20 round magazine... :D Who knows, might even add some rails and an off set red dot at a 45 degree angle bwahahahah.

BULLSEYE63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aestus, that is one bad a' looking weapon you got there, did you do the paint on the stock or can you buy a commercial stock like that? Also what kind of accuracy can one expect from this type of weapon? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aestus, that is one bad a' looking weapon you got there, did you do the paint on the stock or can you buy a commercial stock like that? Also what kind of accuracy can one expect from this type of weapon? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

I painted the stock. It's a 91/30 stock that I stripped and cut the handguards down and shaped with sandpaper. I then used Krylon for the base layer of the camo you see in the pic. I still need to go back over and do a 2nd pass for the leaf and grass patterns.

Cutting a 91/30 down to about 18 inches will actually improve accuracy. The shorter barrel is stiffer and experiences less barrel whip that the longer barrels experience when a round is fired. A buddy of mine cut down a 91/30 with a pristine bore down and with good optics and handloads can achieve 1/2 moa to 1 moa consistently. He gets about 2-3 moa with surplus ammo. Iraqveteran8888 on youtube has videos of his own sporterized Mosins and he easily gets 1 moa consistently on a few of his bubba'd Mosins.

This scout rifle was made from a war era 91/30 that had minute of barn accuracy, rofl. The rifling was pretty bad. Cutting it down to 18 inches revealed some decent rifling. Even without a proper crown, this scout rifle gets about 2-4 MOA compared to the 12 moa I was getting before cutting it down. I'm pretty sure I can squeeze this down to about a 1 moa gun if I crowned the muzzle properly and used hand loads. Right now I'm happy with the 3moa with surplus ammo, as is. Especially considering that the rifle was lucky to even hit paper in the original configuration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom