I apologize to that Guy in Tyler TX Sunday...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You..the guy from Louisianna with the car that broke down at Starbucks in Tyler TX... You were wearing a green print shirt and white shorts.

Your Grandad had a stroke and was in the hospital down in Austin. $10 bucks short for a cab ride to Austin.

You may have been totally legit... or you maybe you just wanted me to open my wallet so you could rob me. If you were on the level.. sorry and I really wish I could help. But you made my little voice start talking with vigor the way you approached... sorry Bud.. but travel in places like Chicago, Miami and other big (and not so big) towns has made me wary of my families safety in public places.

Advice... when you approach a person and they try to ignore you...move along. Pleading your case with a "heartless" person like me won't get you the money or a ride. Oh... when you do approach a person and they get a hard object (like the car) between you and them --- don't be suprised if they draw a gun if you do any thing they feel is "hinkey". Last peice of advice--- Never...NEVER put your hands in your pockets... when you went in to show me that your cash to "prove" you were $10 bucks short...my hand went to my pocket to draw a .38 special.

Sorry it did not work out... and I hope your Grandad made it. BTW- how far did you get when the guy in the red pickup headed south with you in the truck bed?

Bush Dog

Blissfully Confused
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's always tough deciding when and when not to give a hand-out to beggers/panhandlers. I usually give if I have it. I figure since I can't possibly know if they are legit, it's best in the eyes of the Lord for me to give. If they are deceiving me, then they will be judged by Him. From a Christian point of view, this makes the best since for me.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've kind of moved around a little on this subject.
These days I buy a panhandler a happy meal before giving him money.
The cab ride I might have offered to pay the cabbie.

All this dependent on how my gut felt of course.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they are missing a leg or something, I usually give them a few bucks but lately I see a lot of folk that looks able, begging for change. I see no reason why they can't work. I will not give my hard earned money to lazy people that rather sit on the corner and beg.

Few weeks ago, I pull up at the light on Broadway and NE 23rd and I was just minding my business waiting for the light to turn green. I see the guy sitting there with his sign but just ignored him. Then he goes"here I am!". That pissed me off.

Week before that, this guy comes up to my window, I was like what the hell, I m packing. He gives us this long story why he needs 2 dollars. My wife hands it to me, so I was like ok, whatever. Hand it to him, he turns around super fast and leaves, no thank you no later nothing, rude SOB.

Im not doing it anymore! They are everywhere and if you give and give, it adds up folks and for what? If the sign says Im hungry, I rather buy them a bunch of 99c cheeseburgers then give them cash to buy alcohol. When I couldn't afford cigarettes anymore, I quit.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know... the guy sorta did a wide circle from were I saw him first... and Injuned up a little bit the way he came over. He was way too chatty... and the story just did not add up.

Bums with "work for food signs" and the window washers usually don't cause me any real alarm... this guy just did not add up. When the hands went into the pocket my mood ring went from "yellow" to "orange" pretty quick.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
last one I gave to asked for more money. was in Army PTs claiming to be down on luck which is a tough one for me to deny (was off Reno and Meridian gettin some bbq) I gave him like 3 or 4 dollars and some change and he asked for more to get more food. I was like wtf.

Was even worse as not packing, he walked up while I had hands full of my lunch and tryin to get into my car.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When are they going to come up with something original? I've heard this story from Phoenix to Seattle to OKC to Austin. I did hear an original one in OKC once...A man and wife team walking with their dog up and down Meridian asking if you would like to buy some things out of their broke down RV if you would walk back to it with them. They need gas money. Of course, most people will just give them some money.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
last one I gave to asked for more money. was in Army PTs claiming to be down on luck which is a tough one for me to deny (was off Reno and Meridian gettin some bbq) I gave him like 3 or 4 dollars and some change and he asked for more to get more food. I was like wtf.

Was even worse as not packing, he walked up while I had hands full of my lunch and tryin to get into my car.

No amount is ever enough for some people..I woulda been happy with a quarter. Some just get so greedy they forget "beggars can't be choosers" and something and better than nothing. You did a good thing.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know... the guy sorta did a wide circle from were I saw him first... and Injuned up a little bit the way he came over. He was way too chatty... and the story just did not add up.

Bums with "work for food signs" and the window washers usually don't cause me any real alarm... this guy just did not add up. When the hands went into the pocket my mood ring went from "yellow" to "orange" pretty quick.

I've found out it's best to trust your gut. If something feels hinkey it usually is. If you've been around the block, the 'gut feeling' is ususally small indicators that you subconciously picked up on and were not able to articulate until after the fact.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A very wise old fart told me awhile back that "The little voice, tingly, prickly feeling hair standing up on the back of your neck is several million years of evolution saying LOOK AROUND YOU, GET THE **** OUT OF HERE" If you feel that your the gazell at the watering hole being stalked by a lion. Never ignore that instinct, somehow on some level, your sub-conscious know your in danger.... I'd hate to be rude to someone who really needed help, but I really don't trust anyone any more.
Fog

Latest posts

Top Bottom