I finally cut the cord ..... I mean cable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for land lines - I'll never be without one. Most people don't realize that during an emergency or natural disaster, the Emergency Response Units take over ALL the wireless networks (bandwidth) for their use. Civilian use is blocked entirely. I found this out the hard way many years ago during a tornado.

That is true, but with smartphones it is of little consequence if you are near a WiFi ap. Basically a lot of providers have a wifi calling service and if yours doesn't you can get a VOIP app to make calls with. I have an old android phone with zero service enabled (in fact not even a SIM card installed) but I can make phone calls over WiFi. And if the internet goes out in all likelihood most of the landlines will be out along with the whole area being in a SHTF scenario.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That is true, but with smartphones it is of little consequence if you are near a WiFi ap. Basically a lot of providers have a wifi calling service and if yours doesn't you can get a VOIP app to make calls with. I have an old android phone with zero service enabled (in fact not even a SIM card installed) but I can make phone calls over WiFi. And if the internet goes out in all likelihood most of the landlines will be out along with the whole area being in a SHTF scenario.
Can you explain how this works for an old phone with no service?

Are you saying that a phone without service can still make calls using WiFi?

If so, that would be a handy thing to know in an emergency.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! After my divorce, I cut costs and went to Sling TV. I like that I can cancel it whenever I want (like right now). Once college football season comes around or TWD, I'll re-subscribe when I have something I want to watch.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
QUOTE="sedona, post: 2993968, member: 33200"]A friend of mine has kodi on his tv and laptop and watches almost any channel you could want including hbo,showtime and cinemax.I am not too technically oriented but hope to find out more about kodi on my next visit.[/QUOTE]

Google "Kodi" and you will see what it's all about.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you explain how this works for an old phone with no service?

Are you saying that a phone without service can still make calls using WiFi?

If so, that would be a handy thing to know in an emergency.

It requires a smartphone so if you are like my father and only have a dumb phone it will not work. I would imagine there is an equivalent on iPhone as well but on android the app I use is called GrooVe IP. Basically instal it on a phone and connect to wifi and you have a free phone for at home once you go through the registration.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DirectTV now is the best deal I've found yet. Their app is flaky at times but the fact that you can watch it on any device puts a spanking on Sony Vue. And the package that gives you 100 channels for $35 beats everything I've found. My biggest peeve with DTV Now is only two streams at a time but it's still a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It requires a smartphone so if you are like my father and only have a dumb phone it will not work. I would imagine there is an equivalent on iPhone as well but on android the app I use is called GrooVe IP. Basically instal it on a phone and connect to wifi and you have a free phone for at home once you go through the registration.
Okay...next question.

Can you install the app on a phone with no service using WiFi?

I have my old smartphone that I just replaced that no longer has service and I wanted to set it up to make WiFi calls if possible.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom