I finally cut the cord ..... I mean cable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a free ap?
There is a free version and a paid version.
I haven't found out what the difference is yet.

Also, I read an article that says you can only call people that have the same app, but there is a way to set up your phone to work without an app.

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should get a regular phone number with the app in question. The free version is now ad supported but the service itself should be free. Yes you can install over WiFi. The phone works just like a tablet that doesn't have service except it has the hardware for phone calls which makes them better suited for VoIP. There are other programs out there that only work with people using the same program. The one I linked should be just fine though, basically it's like having a "Magic Jack" that is only on a cell phone. You can also use Google voice but it's more of a pain IMHO to get working correctly and they keep changing what application it works with.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You should get a regular phone number with the app in question. The free version is now ad supported but the service itself should be free. Yes you can install over WiFi. The phone works just like a tablet that doesn't have service except it has the hardware for phone calls which makes them better suited for VoIP. There are other programs out there that only work with people using the same program. The one I linked should be just fine though, basically it's like having a "Magic Jack" that is only on a cell phone. You can also use Google voice but it's more of a pain IMHO to get working correctly and they keep changing what application it works with.
I've got three old Andriod smartphones charging up. I'm going to use the WiFi at work to see if I can get them working using that app.

Edit: All three of my old phones worked with the app on WiFi. I was able to make calls and send texts.

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got three old Andriod smartphones charging up. I'm going to use the WiFi at work to see if I can get them working using that app.

Edit: All three of my old phones worked with the app on WiFi. I was able to make calls and send texts.

Good to hear you were able to do it. It's a simple app and uses data to make calls, can even be installed on a active line for a second number but it does use data when you are not on WiFi so talking using it can get costly unless you have a huge amount of data or no overages.

Latest posts

Top Bottom