I found a use for 300 AAC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was never impressed with that round.
MY .223 /5.56 with 55 v-max kills things dead better than any other centerfire I ever shot.
And it has excellent accuracy.

So I did not care for a 300 derivative.
I got to thinking the other day Mouse fart loads in my .308 are super fun.
I made some for the .223 and those are fun also..And then it hit me 300 AAC or "blackout"
would be another good mouse fart round to play with.
I could use my 30 cal cast bullets and would not need to buy any .223 lead molds which I do not have any of and it would give me something to do with my other 2 80% lowers.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The blackout or AAC,Advanced Armament Corporation, was originally the 300 Whisper. Designed to be subsonic and shot through a can.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP,
I don't know how good lead bullet reloads will function in an AR.
But I think you're on to something.

What crossed my mind was the little Ruger American bolt action in 300 Blackout.
They made some with a 16 inch threaded barrel in that caliber. I handled one and it seemed nice, except it had no iron sights.
Looking at the ammo, I thought of a modern, rimless .32-20 Winchester, if you made some mild loads using flat nose lead bullets.

All the purists out there with their mint, like new, unfired 1873 and 1892 Winchesters will howl, but that homely looking Ruger American in 300 Blackout could be a modern vermin buster and walking-around rifle with light loads. You could also use the Blackout as a deer/hog gun with full power jacketed soft point loads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Marlin Ballard in 32-20 and the mouse fart bullets I use are actually lead bullets at 100gr that I cast and powder coated for that rifle.
I just size them different for the 30cal.

I do not need function in a AR as far as cycling goes.
I can cycle it manually.
I made some jacketed mouse fart loads for my AR and those need cycled manually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom