I got bored and started working on my reloading bench...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, for the past several months my press has been mounted to a piece of MDF with 4 4" 2x4s as legs, so basically a foot stool.

Well, I had a base framed out a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to do a top. Couldnt find a solid core door without the hole or without some crazy panel decoration, didnt want to just lay down some MDF, so some trim boards, gorilla glue and a whole bunch of Dos Equis Amber... I ended up with a butcher block style top.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

About 18 dos equis in, and I broke out some left over stain from a cabinet project...

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Luckily, stain cleans up nice from sealed garage floor using mineral spirits, as my stain job involved *brush brush*, *drip drip*, *explicitive* repeat.

Cant wait for it to dry so I can seal her up and get my press mounted. Have a feeling this saturday, since its gonna be cool, Ill be making a BUNCH of ammo.

;)

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, for the past several months my press has been mounted to a piece of MDF with 4 4" 2x4s as legs, so basically a foot stool.

Well, I had a base framed out a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to do a top. Couldnt find a solid core door without the hole or without some crazy panel decoration, didnt want to just lay down some MDF, so some trim boards, gorilla glue and a whole bunch of Dos Equis Amber... I ended up with a butcher block style top.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

About 18 dos equis in, and I broke out some left over stain from a cabinet project...

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Luckily, stain cleans up nice from sealed garage floor using mineral spirits, as my stain job involved *brush brush*, *drip drip*, *explicitive* repeat.

Cant wait for it to dry so I can seal her up and get my press mounted. Have a feeling this saturday, since its gonna be cool, Ill be making a BUNCH of ammo.

;)

Nice!!!!!!!!!!! I am taking it you won't be @ the cookout?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Whitey
Do you have a jointer? How'd you get those boards nice and flush like that? I got some 2x6's and was going to do sort of the same. But since my BIL sold my dad's 6" Rockwell jointer :pissed: they wouldn't even come close to clamping up that nice. So I doweled them, gorilla glued them, barclamped them, and belt sanded a high spot off and slapped a pice of plywood on top. Then I painted it all flat black. It works but yours looks much nicer. That's what I wanted to do was a nice solid stained and finished looking top. Slap the satin polyurethane on it. Good job...

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Whitey
Do you have a jointer? How'd you get those boards nice and flush like that? I got some 2x6's and was going to do sort of the same. But since my BIL sold my dad's 6" Rockwell jointer :pissed: they wouldn't even come close to clamping up that nice. So I doweled them, gorilla glued them, barclamped them, and belt sanded a high spot off and slapped a pice of plywood on top. Then I painted it all flat black. It works but yours looks much nicer. That's what I wanted to do was a nice solid stained and finished looking top. Slap the satin polyurethane on it. Good job...

No jointer. I used trim boards which typically arent as warped as other types of lumber. Did them in just over 10" secions using some heavy claming power to try to take some of the little warp out. If there was still significant warp in the 10" sections, I took a midpoint and measure out 5" either side and snapped a line. Cut along the line with my circular saw to give each section a nice straight edge. Then glued and clamped the 3 10" sections together. It took me most of yesterday to finish the block top. Today was just putting on some trim to finish the edges and mounting some 2x4s to the bottom so the top uses a snug fit type of mount (easy to tear down). The only reason it looks that good is because I sanded from 5am to 7pm today. Well, that and sandable wood putty hides most gaps. ;)

I would love to have a jointer or at least one of those planers (I think thats what its called, where you feed in lumber and it rips 2 sides at once. I fool around alot with lumber, making cabinets, tables, chairs. Sort of a little hobby that doesnt get alot of my attention. Dont have a lot of tools, so its poor man carpentry, but I have noticed my collection is growing.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you saying you use Dos Equis to stain this thing? Or did it take drinking that much to finish it? I've never thought of using (wasting) good beer on such a thing, but I'm interested in hearing about it. :-) Wouldn't it be much more expensive than a good can of stain?

Latest posts

Top Bottom