I have a confession.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You made a great choice in handguns.

When I was a kid, I used to ride my Schwinn Varsity down to the local sporting goods store to stare at a Browning Hi Power. Was going to be the first gun I bought when I got to age. Well, that didn’t happen. The first gun I bought was a Browning BDA in 45acp (and I still have it). The third gun I bought was my Browning Hi Power.

Very disappointed. Would not feed FMJ ammo. So instead of sending it back to Browning I sent it to Austin Behlert. He redid the trigger, took off the mag safety, added a new thump safety, added lowered and rounded BoMar sights, ramped and polished … perfection. Exceptionally accurate and absolutely reliable. Amazing gun.

Attachments

• Browing HP 1.jpg
    Browing HP 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Browning HP 2.jpg
    Browning HP 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 192
  • BHP.jpg
    BHP.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 170

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll have to update your photo then (everything I see in your pic is stock Hi Power stuff). They really are fantastic guns, and the Practical is one of the two or three or four Hi Powers I've sold that I would like to have back.

I'll have to find the parts it came with...its been a while but I thought thats what they were.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to find the parts it came with...its been a while but I thought thats what they were.
From what I can see in your pic, the safety, trigger, and hammer are factory Practical parts. (Though I could be wrong about the hammer--hard to tell from your pics. If I'm wrong, I do apologize. Sometimes I'm not as smart as I think I might be.:D) And, man oh man, do I miss my old Practical! If you ever want to sell that one....:Heya:

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Adam, I have you to blame! After seeing the pics of your Practical, and thinking of the Hi Powers I used to own, I bought a FEG P9M (the "Hungarian Hi Power") from another member here. I think I've been Hi Power smitten all over again. :D

Last edited:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You Sir, have possible found the single greatest dilemma causing piece of weaponry known to man. I believe more gun relationships have broken up due to this piece (Browning HP) than any other. Sweet looking, kind to shoot, almost seems to understand what you want or need it to do for you and not too needy. The only downside I see is that she has a voracious appetite, or maybe that simply would be my need to feed her often and heavily.

Mighty Mouse...... you must be forewarned as to the potential effects of your actions. Please see above for the proven psychological dilemma you are no doubt either already experiencing or shall most hastily experience. Great purchase Sir, I too have begun the quest for this weapon.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheapshot, my lifetime Hi Power count stands at: Ten Browning Hi Powers (including two lightweights), and five--now, six--non Browning Hi Power "clones". The previous fifteen have all been sold as I chased other handgun designs around, but # 16 (the FEG P9M) is likely to stay awhile. I had one of these once before, and I liked it as well as or better than all but one or two of my Brownings. I'm no stranger to the Hi Power allure.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is a truly impressive count. My experience is limited to a single 1982 HP, I foolishly traded it towards another 1911 type and have regretted it since. As I grow a bit older and hopefully wiser I hope to reduce the urge to trade or sell anything. Just let the collection grow and grow. Does seem as though the price of many of the weapons I desire have increased at a proportionate rate as my old age.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Adam and Mightymouse - because both of you have influenced my way of thinking the past 72 hours (in reference to HP), I am the proud owner of a F.N Browning High Power 9mm. It's marked F.N.Browning, Armscorp Silver Springs MD. Made in Argentina Serial # 2936xx Very nice shape. I put her in the safe next to a Springfield Target Match, with any luck they will breed and the offspring will be AMAZING!!! I cannot wait to get the Browning out this next week at the range (Back 40ac). Thanks again for my feelings of inadequacy, I mean need for another fine weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom