I have a confession.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt realize you were having issues. Aside from a bad round that gave me a squib on the first outing for this one, I've yet to have a malfunction through it. Probably have 1500 rounds or better through it thus far.
I was going to carry it the other day but forgot to get some SD ammo and only had ball, so loaded up the Kimber again and did my craigslist dealings.
I guess thats my task for tomorrow...go get some good ammo for it.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The FEG's (aka "Hungarian Hi Powers") are well known for having weak extractor springs. Bottom line is, if you're going to live with a Browning Hi Power or a solid clone like the FEG, you should always keep on hand a spare recoil spring and a spare extractor spring. The extractor spring and lousy aftermarket magazines are the two most common causes of failures in the Hi Power design. I'm off now to put a few more rounds thru mine.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got some self defense ammo to try out in this thing, got a box of Hornady Critical Defense 115gr and went to the steels...didnt skip a beat. Not a super strenuous test but based on what everybody has said and that experience, I dont think I'll have any issues with HP ammo. This thing is ready to go into service and be carried :D

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got some self defense ammo to try out in this thing, got a box of Hornady Critical Defense 115gr and went to the steels...didnt skip a beat. Not a super strenuous test but based on what everybody has said and that experience, I dont think I'll have any issues with HP ammo. This thing is ready to go into service and be carried :D

Good deal. I've never fired a HP (I know, get out from under my rock). How is the trigger compared to a 1911?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are a bit heavier due to the trigger design, but smooth and crisp.

I couldnt shoot a Glock or Ruger P90 worth a crap, and dont do that great with a Beretta 92...but I do awesome with 1911's and the HiPower.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yours is a Practical (a MKIII, in other words) and should have no problem with almost any JHP ammo. Starting with the MKII's (circa 1982) all Hi Powers got a revised feed ramp design and will feed HP's with no other mods. Critical Defense ammo is the best I've found for my Hi Powers, and I've had a bunch of them. You should have no worries about that ammo as a self-defense load in a BHP. The MKII and MKIII's are as reliable a pistol as anyone makes.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good deal. I've never fired a HP (I know, get out from under my rock). How is the trigger compared to a 1911?
The trigger moves straight to the rear on a 1911, providing a very crisp let-off. The BHP trigger pivots to the rear on its pin, and pushes up on the trigger lever, which in turn acts on the sear lever. All that extra monkey motion means that the BHP trigger will never equal a good 1911 trigger. Removing the mag safety does make a considerable difference on the BHP trigger.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't carry my HP now due to weight, and I don't want it sitting in some evidence room dirty an being played with, also trying to replace one these days is kinda on the expensive side. Don't get me wrong, I love mine dearly, but there are better guns to carry these days.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never understood the "dont carry a nice gun in case it has to go into evidence" argument. I'd prefer to carry a gun I shoot well, can trust and enjoy...if it ends up in the evidence locker, I'd be pretty upset that I just had to shoot someone over the fact that the police have one of my pistols. I dont want to lose any of them but in that situation that would be the least of my concerns.

The HP is also cheaper than the Kimber I was carrying and still do occasionally, thats for darn sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom