I Need A Me Proof Sharpener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suck at sharpening knives. I have tried wet stones (really bad at this) and the Lansky (slightly better) 3 stone set with the rods. I have a 4" CRKT folder, a griptilian, a crucible and an Izula. I am not the type to want to spend all day sharpening and I use what I carry for utility. Thanks for your suggestions.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a steady hand, come to Ponca City. I can help.

Its all about keeping the proper angle consistently. Consistently being the key word.

A little 2" stone bought from Walmart will get one sharp.

A diamond impregnated 6" will get them razor sharp.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Work sharp sharpener can put on a decent edge quickly. I believe it has guides too so you can keep those angles the same every time.

I have a paper wheel setup that can make any knife shaving sharp in 5 minutes. But like Dennis said you gotta have a steady hand to keep the angles consistent with no guide.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rendered beef for a number of years. I can sharpen just about anything by hand with good stones and straps. But if you want to do your own and have gave up on learning stones and straps, here is what you need. I have one and use it myself, bought it when it first came out years ago. It simply works. Comes with book and dvd to teach. It is simple.

It will do anything, scissors, serrated, utility edge, razor edge, hooks etc. Easy to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-...7827&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+knife+sharpener

Lastly, the only thing it requires is to be kept clean, the sharpening stones in it. It tells you how to clean them, easy with Babbo, Comet and let dry. I clean em about every fourth or fifth use, and by use I mean about two to four knives being sharpened every use.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worksharp Ken Onion edition is pretty fool proof way to get a shaving sharp edge. It is basically a mini belt grinder with a guide.
I prefer my spyderco stones for my more expensive knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a the Spyderco kit it works as good as the others. I wish I hade the diamond rods for it. You might think about getting a set if your knives are really dull.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dale showed me one he got at Wannamakers. You had two spring loaded rods that you pulled your knife down through vertically to sharpen. The angles stayed the same on both sides. It sounded good and simple. Maybe he will chime in here or PM about it.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dale showed me one he got at Wannamakers. You had two spring loaded rods that you pulled your knife down through vertically to sharpen. The angles stayed the same on both sides. It sounded good and simple. Maybe he will chime in here or PM about it.
Oh yeah. I bought one off those for work and it works great. I'll come in when I remember the name.

The construction is kinda cheap feeling cause they are mostly plastic. But, I've had one for over a year now in the restaurant. Only managers use it and it's not broken yet.

I bought some fine stokes for it which are completely unnecessary in my business. It is about $125.... vsharp? Going to the web. Yep. Here is the one I have http://www.knifesharpners.co.za/shop/sharpners/v-sharp-xtreme-edge/

Latest posts

Top Bottom