I need some S&W gurus to give me some advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve really been wanting a new wheel gun. The idea of having something I could hunt with would be fun too. So a larger caliber revolver. I would love a SW460 but I just can’t swing the price, of the gun or the ammo.
But I stumbled upon a S&W 610 10mm/40 at the local gun store today. They want just short of $1k for it. It has the lock, target sights, and 4” barrel. Thoughts on the gun?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I just check GB for completed auctions on 4 inch guns. I don’t think sub 1k is out of the question at all. Particularly in this climate.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record, I already have a semi healthy collection of 10mm ammo, so I wouldn’t have to source new ammo. I would just have to find .40 to supplement.
What are you hunting with a handgun that a .357 mag won't handle?

Just curious. :drunk2:

I’m just looking at something with a longer barrel. My regular sighted 2” SP101 doesn’t feel like a solid hunting revolver. I love the idea of stomping through the woods with a chest holster and a six shooter waiting to trip over a pig. Chances are it won’t happen, but a man can dream.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m also big on the idea of a revolver to take to the range that uses preexistimg ammo that I have plenty of, like 9mm or 10mm. I can’t keep enough 38/357 on hand to get out to the range.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, 10MM is between .357 Mag and .41 Mag on power. I'll work for deer and bear but you have to do your part and a 4" barrel is a handicap. Sight radius matters. I'd go 6" if it were me, but I also agree that the price seems pretty OK for right now.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI, 10MM is between .357 Mag and .41 Mag on power. I'll work for deer and bear but you have to do your part and a 4" barrel is a handicap. Sight radius matters. I'd go 6" if it were me, but I also agree that the price seems pretty OK for right now.
Agreed. Whatever caliber you choose, I wouldn't go with anything less than a 6" barrel.

I can certainly understand staying with calibers you have ammo for (especially at this time). Even before the current ammo crisis, I've tried to keep my firearms down to a select few calibers.

However, I do have a couple of firearms for sentimental reasons that I probably wouldn't have in the same caliber otherwise (Dad's .357, and my first .410).
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom