I need some S&W gurus to give me some advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caliber and price aside, is this a decent revolver? Would I be better served with say, a sp101 in 9mm if I could find one, or another revolver in a caliber I don’t have?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. Whatever caliber you choose, I wouldn't go with anything less than a 6" barrel.

I have a 5” N frame S&W that looks and feels fantastic. When I saw the picture, I had to have it.

IMG_7845.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caliber and price aside, is this a decent revolver? Would I be better served with say, a sp101 in 9mm if I could find one, or another revolver in a caliber I don’t have?
I like 9mm, but I don't consider it a hunting round in a handgun. Maybe it's just me.

No experience whatsoever with pistol calibers larger than .357, but I'm sure someone here can answer that for ya.
:drunk2:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like 9mm, but I don't consider it a hunting round in a handgun. Maybe it's just me.

No experience whatsoever with pistol calibers larger than .357, but I'm sure someone here can answer that for ya.
The 9mm revolver would simply be for range use/the old lady. She really is liking my sp101 in 357, but the lack of ammo makes life difficult.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9mm revolver would simply be for range use/the old lady. She really is liking my sp101 in 357, but the lack of ammo makes life difficult.
AFAIK, most 9mm revolvers require moon clips, but some do not. Charter Arms makes a "Pit Bull" that has spring loaded retainers to eject the rounds, but they caution against using steel casings.

No idea how much hassle either would become if you plan to shoot a lot.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I got one. Made in 2010, I do t believe it has been fired. Suggestions on a lubricant? The gun is dry. I want to throw something in there so I can go get some shooting in before complete disassembly/degrease/deburring and regrease.

CEC5D0C8-4FEA-4B59-AB4F-90AB61E3FB54.jpeg3492D89D-B69A-4C0F-B4A4-659A1FFC53F1.jpeg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I got one. Made in 2010, I do t believe it has been fired. Suggestions on a lubricant? The gun is dry. I want to throw something in there so I can go get some shooting in before complete disassembly/degrease/deburring and regrease.

View attachment 191243View attachment 191244
One drop (a small drop) on each pin and one on the rebound slide where it interfaces with the frame is all it needs. You don't want a lot of oil and no grease at all in there to attract grit. Revolvers do best when largely "Dry" inside the lockwork. Those lube points will let the oil migrate to where it needs to go.

I use Amsoil or Lucas Extreme gun oil on all of mine, but Ballistol will work too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom