Ice Storm Preps ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know you can take it with you.

Why make things more complicated than they have to be?? Trying to do anything "inconvenient" with GC is like dealing with a screaming room of 2-year-olds who have just been told they have to take an afternoon nap. You should have been here when we had the new roof put on ... And when we had the windows put in. By then I had learned my lesson -- I had the garage doors done while he was gone at work! :D

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why make things more complicated than they have to be?? Trying to do anything "inconvenient" with GC is like dealing with a screaming room of 2-year-olds who have just been told they have to take an afternoon nap. You should have been here when we had the new roof put on ... And when we had the windows put in. By then I had learned my lesson -- I had the garage doors done while he was gone at work! :D

That is so hilarious, you sound just like my wife and I sound just like GC.

BTW we just went through our latest one....had the kitchen ceramic tiled.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is so hilarious, you sound just like my wife and I sound just like GC.

BTW we just went through our latest one....had the kitchen ceramic tiled.

No friggin' way ... I'm not doing the inside of the house until he retires and we can either stay in an apartment for a month or two, or we just sell it outright and fix it up after we buy something else, just to get a decent price out of it.

And if we move to another house I'm not even gonna let him see it ... He's just gonna come home from the range one day and find a note on the door with a key to the new house that says "Come here to this address and we'll talk about it." :coffee2:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do the suicide plug, really only use the generator to run the well and hot water tank for showers. Have a wood stove, plenty of wood, chainsaws. Soon as bad weather is predicted, wife directs me to gas station to fill up 3 vehicles, 4 wheeler, new propane tanks(2) and fill up gas cans

We close off bed rooms and sleep in living room. Move most perishables to hot tub room.

I take care of the man stuff, like keeping the fire going, resting, in case i have to get more wood.
Wife is in charge of dinners, breakfast and general worries.

Usually we eat pretty good, cept no sweets, like pies, cookies or cakes. Lotsa cornbread and 1 pot meals. We try to use up old deer meat, fish, pheasant and whatever else is from last year.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well don't just think about ice storms as far as generators are concerned.

I've used a generator on several occasions to get by in the aftermath of a tornado or other storm in the Spring and Summer.

An August thunderstorm one year produced 94mph straight line winds that took down every power pole for a couple of miles not far from my home.
Didn't have power for 4 days after that but I did have a refrigerator, fan, and tv.:)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've used a generator on several occasions to get by in the aftermath of a tornado or other storm in the Spring and Summer.

An August thunderstorm one year produced 94mph straight line winds that took down every power pole for a couple of miles not far from my home.
Didn't have power for 4 days after that but I did have a refrigerator, fan, and tv.:)

We've been lucky enough not to have this particular problem. Neighbor's tree came down on the line to our house after one tornado but the other neighbor, who was an electrician, had us fixed up in a couple of hours. There is something to be said for being nice to your neighbors, even if you do think they are a bit odd -- just never know when you might need each other ...

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

storm got us, may 2010? took off most of our roof, knocked big power lines down. Was out of power for 11 days. Got kinda hot but we was comfortable. Ran our generator alot, found out check valve in well was bad. Kinda like a long camping trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom