Idpa at ussa 3/10/12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From page 48 of the IDPA rule book "The one issue that is critical to the long-term survival of this shooting discipline is that the problems shooters are asked to solve must reflect reality."

I fail to see how shooting a Texas Star reflects reality. Texas Stars are for USPSA not IDPA.

Ken; you are right to a point but i ask this:
How many of us have had someone try to steel our deer and we had to jump over the deer and shoot from behind it?
How many of us have been cutting wood with a chain saw and had a group of bad guys try to steal it?
how many of us have been attacked while standing in front of 2 busses and had the bad guys bob and weave?
we kind of use the rules about realism with a grain of salt... would you perform a rwr or tr in the real world? Not sure but i would bet that most of us would not.

BTW...this is jmo and i am not ranting at you ol friend but you do bring up a good point........luckily we can have some fun with a lot of the rules at local matches.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any competition using nothing but realistic scenarios would be very boring. There's only so many times you can do Bill Drills while backing up before it gets old.

Ken Martin

Marksman
Reaction score
Ken; you are right to a point but i ask this:
How many of us have had someone try to steel our deer and we had to jump over the deer and shoot from behind it?
How many of us have been cutting wood with a chain saw and had a group of bad guys try to steal it?
how many of us have been attacked while standing in front of 2 busses and had the bad guys bob and weave?
we kind of use the rules about realism with a grain of salt... would you perform a rwr or tr in the real world? Not sure but i would bet that most of us would not.

BTW...this is jmo and i am not ranting at you ol friend but you do bring up a good point........luckily we can have some fun with a lot of the rules at local matches.

Hey Guys, just sayin. No offense. I appreciate all the time and effort you folks put in to create and run the matches. I just don't like the Texas star. Maybe because this aint Texas!!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know Ken, I actually sat and thought about this for a moment. If you consider the plate arrangement from the perspective of the plates, and the order they should be shot in, it does make a kind of sense. If you watch someone shoot the star correctly, they shoot top, right, right, left, then bottom. When done at speed and with no misses, the plates remain largely stationary. But, you’re moving the gun from center chest, to the right, down, to the left and then low center. This would roughly equate to the movements a right handed shooter trying to dodge to the left, getting hit, reversing course and eventually falling to the ground while still presenting a threat.

Where the star loses applicability is when a shooter misses, the plates start spinning and the shooter parks their front sight in one spot, spending a LOT of time trying to wait for plates to line up so they can get a stationary shot at each one. Even when I miss, I keep the gun moving and constantly reacquire plates until I get them all off. This takes a lot less time that “ambushing” each spinning plate.

Does this make any sense, or am I just rambling? :)

Ken Martin

Marksman
Reaction score
You know Ken, I actually sat and thought about this for a moment. If you consider the plate arrangement from the perspective of the plates, and the order they should be shot in, it does make a kind of sense. If you watch someone shoot the star correctly, they shoot top, right, right, left, then bottom. When done at speed and with no misses, the plates remain largely stationary. But, you’re moving the gun from center chest, to the right, down, to the left and then low center. This would roughly equate to the movements a right handed shooter trying to dodge to the left, getting hit, reversing course and eventually falling to the ground while still presenting a threat.

Where the star loses applicability is when a shooter misses, the plates start spinning and the shooter parks their front sight in one spot, spending a LOT of time trying to wait for plates to line up so they can get a stationary shot at each one. Even when I miss, I keep the gun moving and constantly reacquire plates until I get them all off. This takes a lot less time that “ambushing” each spinning plate.

Does this make any sense, or am I just rambling? :)

Hey bud I think you just gave me a headache. Just kidding. Sounds like there's some logic there. Maybe the problem for me is I never shoot it correctly.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Glocktogo. I never really knew the best way to shoot the star. Sometimes I would get lucky and shoot it clean, but other times it took way too many rounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom