Idpa multigun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the rules for anyone that wants to read them...

IDPA 3 Gun Rules

This was taken from Gose's post on the same topic over on Brian Enos forum. I think it pretty much sums it up.

quote "10 shotgun rounds max / stage isnt much... Especially since you're only allowed 5+1 and an additional 6 on your belt, two spare rounds isnt a lot, especially if the stage is mixed bird/slugs.

Oddly enough no mag capacity for rifle, but stages with more than 15 rounds (18 max / stage) must have a mandatory reload.

No weak shoulder long gun at more than 20 yards as well as the no headshots beyond 30y seems a bit restrictive.

"only one type of ammunition may be loaded before the start of a stage", so no mixing bird and slugs in the tube. Not really sure I understand the need for this either, especially with the 5+1 mag capacity.

15yard max total movement for a multigun stage? I can understand that they dont want it to be about who can run a 100y dash faster, but 3 guns in 15 yards?

I'm sure some fun matches can be built with this format, but I dont really see myself traveling any distance to attend one."

Not that I won't shoot IPDA multi gun if its available. Any multi gun is more fun than a one gun match. But IDPA just limits the shooting fun more so than Outlaw or USPSA which is a bummer.

Couldn't agree more. The whole idea of a match is to actually shoot. Who wants to spend half a day shooting 60 rounds? I can do more than half that on ONE stage in USPSA.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about most of these types of matches are the weird start amounts and stylized shooting positions. I went to one match where the premise was you were guarding a wedding and you had a spare magazine but the one in your rifle only had 3 rounds to start....really?? I think I would "start" with the full one. Now I know they wanted to "force" a mag change, but come on!! I also attended a "big" tactical match where you had to shoot off shoulder...which I don't have a problem with but you were laying in the middle of a field. I don't mind bi-lateral shooting in the least, but make it so the stage props force it, not because it is in a stage briefing.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about most of these types of matches are the weird start amounts and stylized shooting positions. I went to one match where the premise was you were guarding a wedding and you had a spare magazine but the one in your rifle only had 3 rounds to start....really?? I think I would "start" with the full one. Now I know they wanted to "force" a mag change, but come on!! I also attended a "big" tactical match where you had to shoot off shoulder...which I don't have a problem with but you were laying in the middle of a field. I don't mind bi-lateral shooting in the least, but make it so the stage props force it, not because it is in a stage briefing.

Lol! I was at that match! The first thing I did was dump my 3-round mag as I went to the mandatory kneeling position and put a fresh 30-round mag in my rifle. There were four targets down range and it didn't make sense to engage four targets with only three rounds in my rifle. They changed the rules shortly after that you could not drop a partially loaded mag.

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it sounds like many have missed the purpose of beginning a stage with a set number of rounds.
How are you going to practice dealing with a malfunction? I agree that no one would purposely begin a gunfight with only 3 rounds in their weapon, especially when they had a full one on them or nearby. During the close to 3 years I have been running the Practical Match, I have seen numerous malfunctions and haven't once heard someone say "I knew that was going to happen". I can't speak for IDPA DMG, but the whole purpose of the Practical Rifle Match is to give the opportunity to practice when Murphy is along for the ride.
Dave

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there's room for both like Fords and Chevys.

Pick one, do both, whatever.

I don't particularly enjoy SASS but I see why some do.

Have fun and get whatever you want to get out of it.

Michael Brown

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey..... SASS IS a 3-gun match, and the guns are all loaded...well except for the shotgun...kind of like IDPA...and the pistols are down loaded one round kind of like?? Well nothing else....GUYS!!! This is all said in fun! And I agree it,s all good.

The best way to practice malfunctions is to shoot enought to have malfunctions...or you could mandate crap ammo along with capacity:pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom