IDPA Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting into one of the shooting sports. On the IDPA website it talks about a membership, is that a membership with the IDPA or a local range?

Also I'm seeing that I would compete against other novices within the classification of SSP or do I compete against all other novices?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The four clubs in OK that do IDPA do not require local club membership to shoot at IDPA matches.

If you join IDPA through a club, it costs you the same $40, but the club keeps $5. At ITPSC we let you shoot a classifier free when you join IDPA through us.

You only compete within your own Division and Class, except for Division Champion, which by definition is the best score in the division.

I wouldn't worry about your classification level or what you can win until you shoot a few club matches and figure out how the matches go. IDPA is strictly trophies and bragging rights for prizes.
Priority One, be safe.
Priority Two, have fun.
Priority three, learn something.

And above all, GO SHOOT!

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do not have to join IDPA to shoot IDPA events. IPSC/USPSA is the same way. By joining you are able to use the IDPA classification system and become classified so that you can have a measuring stick for your shooting development and see how you measure up against others. By joining you are also helping support the sport. Plus you get a good magazine from each orgaization every month or two.
Personally, I shot my first IPSC match then joined IPSC and IDPA the next day because I was hooked. Next up is joining steel challenge and become life members in all if them to really show my support.
Go out to USSA or Oil Capital for their matches next chance you get. You will always find at least a dozen guys or gals that would be more than happy to answer any questions and probably let you shoot their gun too.
If you like to shoot you will love all of the shooting sports.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys.:clap3:

As of right now i have a Springfield XD and a H&K P2000SK.

I see the XD falls into the ESP, but what about the H&K with the LEM trigger system. SSP??

If they fall into different classes, do I have to stick with shooting one or can I shoot which ever one I feel like that weekend. I see I can't change during competition.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot a few IDPA matches at USSA and Ol Cap and the guys made Sure I had a good time..:wave:

The IPSC guys keep looking at me funny for running my gear concealed but I still have had a good time and on any of the matches that I've shot the guy's will walk you though and help you in any way they can..

My only regret is I don't to to shoot them anywhere near as much as I'd like to..

Don't know on your handgun question but just wait it'll get answered..

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys.:clap3:

As of right now i have a Springfield XD and a H&K P2000SK.

I see the XD falls into the ESP, but what about the H&K with the LEM trigger system. SSP??

If they fall into different classes, do I have to stick with shooting one or can I shoot which ever one I feel like that weekend. I see I can't change during competition.

Your XD is an ESP gun, the HK could be run in SSP. You can only shoot one gun per match at USSA or OC, but you could switch guns from match to match whenever you want. The big thing is to come out and jump in with both feet. It's a lot of fun and you'll wish you had sooner once you try it. :)

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can shoot whatever you want to enter that particular shoot with as long as it is a idpa legal gun. Look at the sticky for the rule book on this section of the forum. You'll have fun with whatever you shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom