IDPA/SSR change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IDPA/SSR power floor drops to 105 effective 1/17/2011.
This allows regular commercial .38 Spl ammo to make power floor without having to load or buy +P. Per HQ IDPA.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rcvd this and afa I am concerned it is BS.

Now you can download "a lot"even 38 spc. A 158 gr BB only needs to go 792. To easy even with fast powders.

This is worse than down loading 40 and 45ACP for ESP/SSP and only makes it harder for the same shooters they are saying it will help.

My questions are will a bullet get stuck at that vel and will dents on the cardboard now be counted?

How about allowing 38 S&W, 327, and 32 mag in because they will make a 105 pf.

Reloading costs with a Lee starter kit runs about 100 bucks and the savings would be recouped quickly.

Not to mention in the rulebk and other ramblings IDPA is supposed to use full power service ammo etc.

Bad call for bad reasoning and stupid to think we shooters and members are going to buy into their excuses for the change.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rcvd this and afa I am concerned it is BS.

Now you can download "a lot"even 38 spc. A 158 gr BB only needs to go 792. To easy even with fast powders.

This is worse than down loading 40 and 45ACP for ESP/SSP and only makes it harder for the same shooters they are saying it will help.

My questions are will a bullet get stuck at that vel and will dents on the cardboard now be counted?

How about allowing 38 S&W, 327, and 32 mag in because they will make a 105 pf.

Reloading costs with a Lee starter kit runs about 100 bucks and the savings would be recouped quickly.

Not to mention in the rulebk and other ramblings IDPA is supposed to use full power service ammo etc.

Bad call for bad reasoning and stupid to think we shooters and members are going to buy into their excuses for the change.

What's the matter? Afraid you might get a little competition from shooters who don't reload? Do you really think that SSR should be available only to those who reload? Is it somehow a "special" or "protected" division?

Do you enjoy beating K-Frame revolvers to death in competition with +P loads? Your statements about stuck bullets and dented cardboard are just plain silly. Remember that IDPA is supposed to be about real world defense. Some older revolvers are not +P rated and some shooters are recoil sensitive. I'd rather advise a homeowner or CCW carrier to use .38 target wadcutters they can hit with than some uber-hot load that makes them flinch.

As far as I'm concerned, your opinion is BS. If you wanna shoot hot revolver loads, then switch to ESR with whichever magnum blaster you choose and quit your bellyaching! :flamed:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A basic concept for IDPA has been to keep it at the "everyman" level. Being able to compete with a safe, but not expensive factory gun, from a readily available holster with off-the-shelf ammo is a big part of this.

In the other 4 IDPA divisions, finding factory ammo is as simple as going to most any store that sells ammo. Not so for SSR; it required a trip to the reloading bench to acquire ammo that was at PF, plus a safety margin.

Many newer IDPA shooters are not reloaders, thus were eliminated from SSR.

Running 125+PF ammo out of a K-frame, even a magnum rated one, is not desirable for the heavy beating 130-135PF ammo will cause over 10's of thousands of rounds in a K-frame. It takes a L-frame or a GP-100 to hold up; they cost around $500 and up. A used K-frame can be had for $300 and up, with a little shopping.

I think the new PF will accomplish the "everyman" goal.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A basic concept for IDPA has been to keep it at the "everyman" level. Being able to compete with a safe, but not expensive factory gun, from a readily available holster with off-the-shelf ammo is a big part of this.

In the other 4 IDPA divisions, finding factory ammo is as simple as going to most any store that sells ammo. Not so for SSR; it required a trip to the reloading bench to acquire ammo that was at PF, plus a safety margin.

Many newer IDPA shooters are not reloaders, thus were eliminated from SSR.

Running 125+PF ammo out of a K-frame, even a magnum rated one, is not desirable for the heavy beating 130-135PF ammo will cause over 10's of thousands of rounds in a K-frame. It takes a L-frame or a GP-100 to hold up; they cost around $500 and up. A used K-frame can be had for $300 and up, with a little shopping.

I think the new PF will accomplish the "everyman" goal.

Dangit Buzz, stop using logic! There's peoples emotions to consider here!!! :D

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just got another 20-40k out of the well used (but awesome!) model 19 I recently picked up for SSR.

I saw a fellow shooting a 2.5" k-frame in SSR at last year's Nats. I honestly dont think a lighter PF will change anything, other than the guys wanting to shoot some wheelguns without reloading.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GTG-taking it little personnel eh? lol

Really you keep going back to K-Frames. It is the shooters choice of handgun and division. I shot an old model 10 with thousands of +p 38s and nary a problem when in high school, Usually I see K-frames in SSR but not always and have heard of no one that I know at least four people shooting K-frames complain. Seen a Python shoot the BBL lose after just a few cyl but don't consider that the norm? My 2 " Taurus is shooting 750 with 158 loads and has held after at least 2000 rounds and that is nearly PF from a 2" bbl. If the timing or the slop needs to be attended to that is something many shooters can do.

It goes back to IDPA stands for Defensive and it states on page 4 of the rule bk Full Power Service loads. Now I agree that a WC is better than nothing. The sport is not about better than nothing or which pistol would be more durable. It is supposed to be about full power service ammo and if your choice is a weak handgun that is on the shooter. Nor does it attend to the needs of one who might be a bit gun shy/recoil sensitive.

Take exception to the comments, but not the principle behind my previous post. This new PF is BS for the reasons that was in the release.

Shooting a 158gr bullet at 850 from a 4 inch bbl is to easy. Selecting division and handgun is to easy.

Most clubs I bet don't chrony especially if it is factory ammo (at least that doesn't say target on it)

No I might have been a bit hot and did not articulate my thoughts well, but it is BS.

Get all crappy but you wont change the fact that it is the individuals choice what to shot and shot in, or the reasoning given is bogus. SSR has more than 38s that shoot in it albeit not nearly as much. I have a friend who dnlds the pee out of 45acp for SSP and his 58 (41 mag) for SSR. Why because he can and it is his choice.

Now all my heat on the subject comes from the premiss of IDPA and how it is marketed again Full Power Service ammo and Defensive. Take those two items out and I wont have a problem with the change. That and don't give us the BS they did as an excuse.

So my bag on getting you riled up, but I disagree with your comments as well.

Happy Glocking

Latest posts

Top Bottom