Idpa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have the equipment you should just show up and shoot. It is fun and plenty of people are helpful. You just need a revolver or semi auto pistol 9mm-.45, 3 magazines or speed loaders, a good holster, mag pouches, and a concealment garment (aka a shirt or vest that covers your gun), and about 150 rounds.

Last edited:

SPCAS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Average is 15-30 people at oil capital. It's open to come watch if you want.

However, its just as easy to bring some basic equipment and watch from the front lines. I've seen a few guys show up with a pistol, holster and 2 mags with no mag holders and they were able to compete and learn the game just fine

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a cpl .45 autos with holsters that would work, nothing to hold extra mags at this time. Just didn't wanna look like a complete idiot first time I tried to shoot but it sounds like a blast.

DNO

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a cpl .45 autos with holsters that would work, nothing to hold extra mags at this time. Just didn't wanna look like a complete idiot first time I tried to shoot but it sounds like a blast.

DNO

As stated, it's IDPA legal to reload from pockets. Anything that will cover the holster (vest, untucked shirt) will work for a cover garment. Total round count is usually less than 100 rounds, but we usually recommend to bring 150, just in case.

The only real requirement past a strong side holster is that you be able to safely draw, move with the gun in hand, unload and show clear and re-holster while keeping the muzzle within the safe muzzle points, and not "sweep yourself" in the process. The Safety Officers will guide you through the process and will usually allow any new shooter to shoot last on each stage, so you can see exactly how it's done.

Of course you can always show up and watch, but it's better to just gear up and shoot. I'm planning to attend. If your .45 is a single stack or Glock 21, I have a couple of spare mag pouches you can use. Just PM me if you're interested.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm interested in watching an IDPA event, can I watch or do I have to be a participant?
How many shooters typically show up at Oil Capital on the 4th Saturday?

DNO

Take your equipment with you when you go to "watch". If you don't, you will be sorry. (Voice of experience talking here ... :)) You WILL want to shoot ... Once you watch you tend to focus on how good the best shooters there are and start to doubt yourself. Then you say "Well I better practice some before I shoot a match" ... Nobody looks like an idiot ... Every shooter there has been the noobie at a match ... No one looks like an idiot as long as they are being safe. (And you will be more focused on being safe than you will being fast in the beginning anyway.) So just go ahead and bite the bullet and have fun!!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks GTG, I'll keep it in mind if I can get the nerve up to compete. I have a spot just SW of C'ville where I shoot if u want to bust a cap outdoors.

DNO

Thanks! As BB stated, it's really not that hard and you will wish you'd brought your gear, so you might as well just shoot! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom