Idpa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We all look goofy our first time out. No one will judge you or point and laugh, everyone there will make sure you're safe and have a blast.

We don't grow the shooting sports by being jerks to new blood.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come on out and shoot with us next Saturday, it's a lot of fun. One word of advice, if you will go to http://www.idpa.com/ and download the rule book and look thru it before the match it will help you to understand the rules, scoring, errors, etc.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come on out and shoot with us next Saturday, it's a lot of fun. One word of advice, if you will go to http://www.idpa.com/ and download the rule book and look thru it before the match it will help you to understand the rules, scoring, errors, etc.

Agreed. Even if you don't, we'll guide you through it pretty well. :)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of reading, I'm sure to see it in person it won't be that rough. :-)
What time does it start and what's the entry fee?

DNO

Not even close. :) Sign in usually starts 9-9:30, walk through scheduled at 10AM. Usually finished by 2-3PM. Cost is $12 for non Oil Capital members.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm the IDPA Match Director at Oil Capital. New shooters are always welcome. We were all new shooters once; we haven't forgotten.

Almost invariably those who come just to watch end up REALLY wishing they'd brought their shooting gear with them, so they could participate. I encourage new shooters without experience working at speed from a holster to start with the gun in their hand. Likewise, if you do not have mag carriers, don't sweat it; pockets will do. Safety and accuracy first; speed will follow later.

I discourage new shooters from going out to make an uninformed purchase of shooting gear before their first match. Ofttimes they wish they'd bought something else, once they'd been to a match or two.

You can read the current IDPA rulebook if you want, but it's probably not the best use of your time. Scan through it perhaps, at the most.

There is a newly released IDPA rulebook that will be effective October 1 2013. There are a number of differences between it and the current 2005 rulebook. No sense getting the two co-mingled in your head. Wait until you have shot a match or two, then study the October 2013 book; it will be nearly October by then.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rut Ro Buzzdraw, the 2013 rules were night time reading last night. Goofing tonite to see if holster, belt etc are up to snuff, what can I say, it's Monday night. Wouldn't be the first time this old fart has looked goofy with an audience. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom