If Arsenal AK's are the best, which one to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, aestus. Sucks that I had first thought about getting an Arsenal SGL-31 several years ago, but put it off. Guess I'll be paying the price if I go for it :nono2:

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread but I find it worth asking here. I have an Interarms built AK 74 and WZ 88 both with original chrome lined barrels. What makes this different from the Arsenal's in terms of quality?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that the OP has his answer and has made a decision, I hope it's OK to ask tangential questions about the SGL's here; Aestus, you seem to know what you're talking about :wink2: Why is the SGL series so darned expensive? The cheapest I've found NIB seems to be $1200. I like the rifle and want to get one mainly because I have a supply of surplus 5.45 ammo, but that much money for an AK?

ETA: Perhaps what I should ask is this; what goes into an Arsenal AK that "justifies" their cost relative to other AK's?

That's a good deal. Dealer cost through distributors is over $1100.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread but I find it worth asking here. I have an Interarms built AK 74 and WZ 88 both with original chrome lined barrels. What makes this different from the Arsenal's in terms of quality?

I've never shot any of the IAC built Ak's. From what I know, they are Bulgarian surplus parts kits guns built with a US made receiver. Only the early builds used the actual Bulgarian cold hammer forged Barrels. After 2010, I think original barrels were no longer allowed to be imported with the surplus parts kits. I remember Atlantic firearms confirming that later IAC builds using US made chrome lined barrels.

In terms of quality, I think IAC was a great deal for what your getting. The only difference really is factory new and modern vs military surplus.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never shot any of the IAC built Ak's. From what I know, they are Bulgarian surplus parts kits guns built with a US made receiver. Only the early builds used the actual Bulgarian cold hammer forged Barrels. After 2010, I think original barrels were no longer allowed to be imported with the surplus parts kits. I remember Atlantic firearms confirming that later IAC builds using US made chrome lined barrels.

In terms of quality, I think IAC was a great deal for what your getting. The only difference really is factory new and modern vs military surplus.

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I bought them both in 2010 specifically because they still had original barrels. Other than that I didnt know a whole lot about them when I bought them.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found out that Tapco mags don't fit. Any recommendations?

Heard or actually tried? There's no reason why the tapco mags wouldn't work.any standard 7.62x39 akm mags should work. If tolerances are really tight, then you can file down the tabs a little, but for the most part they should always work if they're proper akm patterned mags.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I just picked up these 2 Arsenal SAM-7's a few months back. Both the pistol and the rifle. Both have milled receivers that are milled from hot forgings. About the best you can currently get. Arsenal hasn't had these for sale for about 10 years. The fit and finish on these guns has to be seen to be appreciated. If you're in the market for a quality AK-47, I would advise anyone to get one while you can. These things have a way of disappearing quickly.

For magazines CDNN has new steel Bulgarian 30 round magazines for just $18.99. They go on sale from time to time. They come brand new, still in the packing oil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom