If I sit and listen closely, ghosts of the past whisper in my ear...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So as I was walking through the pitiful excuse of a show last weekend, I stumbled across this broken down old pony that had been put out to pasture long, long ago. I brought the old girl home and gave her an oil bath, followed by a brush down to get the years of abuse and crud off of the beautiful old horse underneath. After I dried her off I had a beautiful and proud pony that was ready to go back out into the world and strut her stuff.
It was a poor sight indeed when I found it on the table. Almost entirely covered in rust, the barrel completely blocked with debris and the chambers covered in corrosion. I could barely make out that it was a Colt laying there. It was so bad, I started to walk away shaking my head, but something called me back. I had to save it. Now, when I sit in a darkened, quiet room and hold it in my hands, I can see faint visions of a time long past... and ghosts whisper in my ear.

My new prize pony! An 1876 Colt SAA.

Attachments

• 20210307_142507.jpg
    20210307_142507.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 16153482353827547171772551374570.jpg
    16153482353827547171772551374570.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 243

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on a great find. I was never lucky enough to find an old Colt SAA in my price range so I am more than a bit jealous.

That is one reason I use to rebuild Bubba sporter rifles. To see a proud old war horse turned into a travesty always bothered me. I would pick up the ones that had the stocked hack off with a skill saw, site wings ground off, etc, etc and try to turn them into nice hunting rifles. Not show pieces but something you could take into the field and know it was going to do the job. Wish I still had them all.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet to give life or should it be “some love” to a old war horse! It was a weird show to me too! If your speaking Chickasha. Those young people dressing in the war uniforms right across the isle from a lady who is from Korea the era they were dressed for and fought against! Weird!

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I was referring to the RK show in OKC. Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They can't seem to put on a decent show here. Tulsa is a different story, but they have just burned too many people down here. Only reason I went at all is had absolutely nothing better to do. But I'm glad I did. This was the ONLY thing of interest that I found at this tiny gathering. I actually wanted to go to the one in Chickasha, because I knew it would be the better show of the two, but I just didn't have the time to go down there.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I was referring to the RK show in OKC. Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They can't seem to put on a decent show here. Tulsa is a different story, but they have just burned too many people down here. Only reason I went at all is had absolutely nothing better to do. But I'm glad I did. This was the ONLY thing of interest that I found at this tiny gathering. I actually wanted to go to the one in Chickasha, because I knew it would be the better show of the two, but I just didn't have the time to go down there.

Over 25 years ago I gave up on gun shows, they just went plain stupid when it costs more than $5 Bill to get in. Then the Tupperware and crap like that started showing up I quit. Then about 4 years ago I went to Wanenmacher’s never had been, it was HUGE! I have been back twice to it. I guess I am a cheap ass, cause if they are more than $5 they ain’t worth it to me either, unless I just plain don’t have anything to do either!
But I do enjoy Wanemachers. And it’s to high, but I go.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought it was ironic that Wannanmacher's was $10 and you had to keep moving to cover all of it in a day, while the smaller ones were $14 and you could easily cover them in a couple of hours. Granted you can get in both days for $14 and only one day at Wannenmacher's, but even if you went both days the small ones won't take more than 4-5 hours, and you'll see the same stuff at least twice.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought it was ironic that Wannanmacher's was $10 and you had to keep moving to cover all of it in a day, while the smaller ones were $14 and you could easily cover them in a couple of hours. Granted you can get in both days for $14 and only one day at Wannenmacher's, but even if you went both days the small ones won't take more than 4-5 hours, and you'll see the same stuff at least twice.

I’m old and wore out, I walk 3-5 miles most every day cept weekends, I shoot minimum once a week, I built fence today. I have a few fake joints in me. But I have never once in 3 times to Wannemakers have ever made it completely through all the isles. But I feel like I walked 4-5 miles up a trail in Colorado. It is walking like 4 lengths of isles in one isle to see both sides! But it is fun! And if they get the masked crap gone, I’ll go again!

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RK show is dying a slow death. It’s what happens when the adv budget disappears

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Between my sons Heritage and how much I like my 2 SA/DA 357's I have been looking at an old school SAA .... Lotta envy going on here, that is way to cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom