If we ever have a emp strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading up a lot about it yesterday but didn't find anything about that they said within a year 90 percent of the population would be dead I figure that percentage would be a little higher on the survival side

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An EMP will only effect equipment that is powered up or sustains a 'keep alive' voltage at the time of the burst. Things like newer computer controlled cars, cell phones, digital tvs and watches etc. If the unit is unplugged or the batteries are out should be no problems.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not necessarily; a voltage can be induced across any component. Those under power are more likely to be damaged, but it's not impossible for unpowered devices to be damaged.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An EMP will only effect equipment that is powered up or sustains a 'keep alive' voltage at the time of the burst. Things like newer computer controlled cars, cell phones, digital tvs and watches etc. If the unit is unplugged or the batteries are out should be no problems.
I'm not sure that's correct. A massive EMP would induce voltage in coils and windings (relays, chokes/filters, antennas, generators, alternators, motors, transformers, etc.). I don't know whether that voltage would be enough to damage the wiring itself, but the coils would surely unload into other components that can't stand much over-voltage (CMOS, MOSFETS, and such).

Kinda scary actually.

[EDIT] Wow, I must be typing at the speed of turtle... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom