If You Are PLanning To Fill The Gas Tank....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will admit, some of the comments herel are comical. Some, I will even say I have no pity for them. Specifically the ones saying they are nothing but numbers being treated like trash and swept out the door.

I know how companies like Devon operate. They use times of bust to clean out the pool. They get rid of under-performing employees, employees of departments that have become too heavy, and old timers who are not open to heading in a true north direction.

No matter where you work, in the end, you are a number. And if you are an employee of a publicly traded company, you need to understand the first priority is the shareholder. This is universally true for any publicly traded company. Do your job, always exceed expectations and unless things are downright catastrophic, you shouldn't find yourself in jeopardy.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just think about yourself. Millions and millions of retirees in this country living on a fixed retirement income. Those sky high gas prices hurt them. Maybe it's their turn to be able to afford a steak.

Many of those retirement plans don't give cost-of-living increases. What you get is all you get. Sure maybe they could be greeters at WalMart if they were physically able, many aren't.

The price of oil was already back up almost $6.00 a barrel today. It ain't gonna stay low forever.

Maybe those on fixed income should've worked harder? Saved more? If gas makes or breaks you, then some life changes might be in order?

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. Our Niece's dad does over the road trucking.

I have to drive by several truck stops on my way to the farm, and noticed a lot of trucks stop at one, and not the other on the other side of the road. I asked why.

He said that the big trucking companies bid for contracts to get better fuel prices. What you see on their marquee is for pickups. The over the road drivers don't pay the marquee price.

Interesting. We drive a lot for vacations and most stops are at Flying J, Loves, TA, etc. I am always asked when getting fuel if I have a card or some other trucker related question. I also hear the cashiers asking for truck or member numbers when talking about fuel ups. Must be the same stuff you mentioned.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe those on fixed income should've worked harder? Saved more? If gas makes or breaks you, then some life changes might be in order?

Sadly you're not living in the real world. Coulda, woulda and shoulda don't equal didya. For many people in their late 60's and beyond the opportunities to earn the kinda money you can today didn't exist back then.

Other then the company sponsored pension plan many people didn't have anything to save.

So your advice to them about making lifestyle changes equally applies to those that are losing their jobs in O&G.
Maybe they shoulda planned for these downturns in oil prices. I'm hoping gasoline prices stay under $2.00 a gallon for at least the next couple of years. Give the poor, disabled retired folks a chance to catch up.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly you're not living in the real world. Coulda, woulda and shoulda don't equal didya. For many people in their late 60's and beyond the opportunities to earn the kinda money you can today didn't exist back then.

Other then the company sponsored pension plan many people didn't have anything to save.

So your advice to them about making lifestyle changes equally applies to those that are losing their jobs in O&G.
Maybe they shoulda planned for these downturns in oil prices. I'm hoping gasoline prices stay under $2.00 a gallon for at least the next couple of years. Give the poor, disabled retired folks a chance to catch up.

Actually, I am in the real world, I'm just applying the philosophy given forth in this thread. I've seen the light. Why weren't these people smart enough to invest? They KNEW retirement was coming. Hell they had a 40 year notice!! If they didn't make enough money they should've moved or even gone to school. It's easy to uproot your family and school is dirt cheap.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I cannot feel sorry for those who didn't account for the cyclical nature of the energy and exploration sector when planning/contributing to their retirement.

Actually, I am in the real world, I'm just applying the philosophy given forth in this thread. I've seen the light. Why weren't these people smart enough to invest? They KNEW retirement was coming. Hell they had a 40 year notice!! If they didn't make enough money they should've moved or even gone to school. It's easy to uproot your family and school is dirt cheap.

GMT...

cdn.meme.am_instances_500x_55125432.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom