If You Are PLanning To Fill The Gas Tank....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Give me commodity prices over the past 15 years that mirrored oil prices and the subsidy wouldn't have to exist.

Granted I'm no expert but and it's not the same but........wasn't corn ~800 a few years back?... beef ain't cheap right now either. All those poor people can't afford good meat now.

EDIT: to your edit.... I didn't see that anyone is whining. However, to me I always feel the need to support local people that actually produce something, regardless of their profession, when you can. Weird sense of Oklahoma pride I know. Call me crazy.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Granted I'm no expert but and it's not the same but........wasn't corn was what 800 a few years back?... beef ain't cheep right now either. All those poor people can't afford good meat now.

I'm wondering if beef ain't coming down. I just bought 2 huge packs of really nice ribeyes at Sam's for $6.98/lb. That's 1+ inch thick boneless ribeyes for less than the lean hamburger I was buying 3 months ago!

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Granted I'm no expert but and it's not the same but........wasn't corn was what 800 a few years back?... beef ain't cheep right now either. All those poor people can't afford good meat now.

Back in 08 Corn was around $8. Don't know where you are getting that 800 figure. Wheat got to $12 for about 5 minutes in Feb of 08 but had backed off to $8 by the time harvest arrived. Should have sold off the combine but fuel was well over $4 and fertilizer was well over $1,000 a ton so $8 wasn't as profitable as it should have been. Then the collapse in the fall of 08 took prices down to about $3.50. FYI, wheat is currently around $4 at the elevator. The low price of oil and the associated deflationary pressure it brings is killing grains for export. So it's not like the artificially low price isn't hurting me. The cattle market is off about 40% in large part due to the perceived weakness in the economy.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wondering if beef ain't coming down. I just bought 2 huge packs of really nice ribeyes at Sam's for $6.98/lb. That's 1+ inch thick boneless ribeyes for less than the lean hamburger I was buying 3 months ago!

Feeder cattle are off about 40% compared to last year. The savings should be showing up in stores by now. Eat it up. Beef is the tastiest anyhow.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oil is not a standard commodity. Comparing it to any other commodity is apples to oranges.

There are different grades of grains just like oil if that's what you are getting at. Higher quality gets higher price. Well really gets the stated price. The lower quality wheat is what gets docked pretty hard.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in 08 Corn was around $8. Don't know where you are getting that 800 figure. Wheat got to $12 for about 5 minutes in Feb of 08 but had backed off to $8 by the time harvest arrived. Should have sold off the combine but fuel was well over $4 and fertilizer was well over $1,000 a ton so $8 wasn't as profitable as it should have been. Then the collapse in the fall of 08 took prices down to about $3.50. FYI, wheat is currently around $4 at the elevator. The low price of oil and the associated deflationary pressure it brings is killing grains for export. So it's not like the artificially low price isn't hurting me. The cattle market is off about 40% in large part due to the perceived weakness in the economy.

Forgive me, I speak out of ignorance.....

Wait.... so you're saying there's more to farming than superficial numbers? One wonders if the O&G is the same?

Awwww fuk em, someone saw a grunt driving a 50K truck around town. By god the 30K millionaires of Oklahoma should be able to buy their gas for cheap!

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been reading through the past posts and would like to point out a few things that appear to be overlooked. The oil and gas industry is NOT only made up of the "overpaid" roughneck oilfield workers commonly referred to (whom I personally have a great deal of respect for). In Oklahoma, this downturn affects many more people. Downtown Tulsa and OKC offices are filled with workers that are in constant concern of losing their jobs. These jobs are not only the high paying jobs several people seem to be bashing here, but all the support staff jobs. Engineering techs, geo techs, land techs, gas marketing, and all the accounting staff. These individuals show up to work everyday (not in $50K vehicles) and try to put in an honest days work to provide for their families. Each day they wonder if it will be their last.
A former post mentioned how companies use these times to "trim the fat". I agree, but in many cases, and within many companies, those layoffs have already taken place. Now its down to having to consider cuts of others simply because the extremely low commodity price cannot support them. Stockholders still want to see companies reduce costs even if that means cutting lose employees that are doing a great job.
Many Oklahomans are suffering and will continue to suffer until prices stabilize.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
News alert little man, old people still drive. They go to the store, church, doctors appointments, visit family, Twin Peaks for lunch, maybe even Florida.

What a moronic comment. My parents are in their 80's and they drove out to see my brother in Florida.

Hopefully when you get to be their age, if you make it that long, you'll be living at the Resthaven Nursing Home. Maybe if your lucky they'll load you up in the van on Tuesday for the trip to Sam's Club so you can get your free sample of Depends.

Little man? Must've struck a nerve. Most of the older folks I know don't get out much if ever. Church once a week and generally they have someone get their groceries. Nobody drives to Florida and none of them are out RVing. But keep up the personal attacks. And based on my family I think I'll be well over 80 before I get to kick the bucket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom