If you could only choose one...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I need to make two big purchases; a standby generator (NG not gas) and a storm shelter. However, I can only afford to do one this year. Which should I choose? I fully plan on buying both as soon as possible but only one at a time. Here is my thought process, I have a family of 5. Power goes out way more often than houses get leveled by tornadoes. Plus, tornado season is about done for this year. Generator will help protect us from ice, wind, and fires that may cause our rural co-op power to go out. I'm leaning towards the generator. Can anyone change my mind?

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No.

I would go generator and make sure you have a transfer switch so the guys working on the power lines don't get shocked. I have had to use generator several times. So far, thank the good Lord, safe room is just a closet.

Barnney Fife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I you go with the generator I would suggest getting a tri-fuel kit for it so you can go from gasoline to NG to propane with just the turn of a knob.
If you dont know where to find them pm me and I will give the address where I bought mine

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Generator. If you aren't in the extreme sticks you can be close to a neighbor that has a shelter or public shelter. Plan ahead visit with a neighbor to find out if it would be ok to bring family over during a storm. You might offer to share some warm food and shelter if suffering from a loss of power.

Latest posts

Top Bottom