"I'll take it" or PM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it comes down to honor mostly. And mostly, people seem to have less of it.

I go by time stamp. And once I agree to a deal - whether buyer or seller - I stick with it. I've agreed to sell an item I had listed for $225 for $200, then a bit later had someone offer the full price. I agreed to the first, I'll stick with it. I've had people pissed because they claimed to be the first "I'll take it" when I'd already agreed to a deal. I've also had the seller go with a higher bidder after they'd agreed to my offer.

This^^^

I work in the same office with another OSA member. In the last month or so we have both been jerked around by sellers. I sent a PM and then posted that I would take the deal. I didn't hear back from the seller for a day or so. Then he said that I was second in line behind a person that had PM'ed. No biggy, I told him that if the first buyer fell though, I would still take it and he agreed. A couple of days later he PM'ed while I was at work, and said that the first buyer fell through. I PM'ed back to arrange a meeting, when I got home that evening, and when I went to the ad, he had posted it sold to someone else.

My co-worker arranged a deal. Made an agreement to meet up, and when he got in from work, he found that the buyer had sold the item.

It comes down to your word. If you say it, do it.

This too^^^

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know how that happened, but the second part of the quoted text, is actually my original message. I don't want to be accused of putting words in somebody else's post.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had to back out of a deal recently due to unforseen bills and such, but I have also had plenty of people PM me with orders for slings and I order the parts needed only to never hear back from the person who ordered. It happens, but it is nowhere near as bad as the crap I have had happen to me through Craigslist, Armslist, and other forums. I just figure sooner or later it will happen and I will just have to roll with it.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it would be whoever was first, but ultimately it is the sellers choice who they sell to I would think. I have had "I'll take its" on online classifieds when the buyer insists I drive an hour to meet them, wants me to hold it several days, or wants me to ship it when it is something I would rather not ship. When that happens the first one in line with my terms gets it and due to those very same reasons I have also often bought things by pm because I was willing to meet the seller's terms when there were I'll take its posted prior to my pm. So never assume an item is sold till the seller posts as such.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it would be whoever was first, but ultimately it is the sellers choice who they sell to I would think. I have had "I'll take its" on online classifieds when the buyer insists I drive an hour to meet them, wants me to hold it several days, or wants me to ship it when it is something I would rather not ship. When that happens the first one in line with my terms gets it and due to those very same reasons I have also often bought things by pm because I was willing to meet the seller's terms when there were I'll take its posted prior to my pm. So never assume an item is sold till the seller posts as such.

Situations like that should be handled in a manner such as "If you can ship/drive/hold it for a couple of days, I'll take it.", not "I'll take it!" and then hash out the details.

But I'll sell to the first "I'll take it", whether it's PM or forum post. I also expect to be sold to under the same conditions, but I can't control the transaction in those cases since I don't possess the item(s) up for sale.