Im Wanting an OTF Auto Knife BAD, Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not hating on you but giving money to known counterfeiters only hurts the people who are willing to pay for the real thing. It's a huge problem for spydercos. The fakes are so good they sell for the same price as normal. Again not hating because $600 is a lot for a knife so I can't blame you for not wanting to pay that much. I'll be curious to see how those hold up and what kind of steel they actually use.

Ill admit a small amount of guilt was attached to my purchase :nono2: and I hate the thought of someone getting ripped off by counterfeits...happened to me once with a Samsung galaxy phone and I was PISSED. But in my books the bad karma goes to the ones trying to deceive others with this item, and that's not my intentions at all (not saying you accused, I know we are on the same page for the most part). I loved the style of the knives and in no way was a potential customer for an authentic microtech, so enter the clones.

I'm excited to get them and will do my best to review after they have had some torture.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the side by side quality comparison by the counterfeiters is a riot. It's to bad they wont just copy the designs and put their trademarks on the stuff they produce.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welp I ordered a couple microtech clones from china. I'm not expecting the same quality but reviews seem to be pretty darned good.

Makora II for $73: http://www.dhgate.com/product/2016-...i/373735192.html#myaccount_orderdetail-1-null

Halo V for $53: http://www.dhgate.com/product/micro...n/270423103.html#myaccount_orderdetail-1-null

I'm sure some of you will hate on me for buying clones but $600 for a knife is robbery to me. I will give a review of them in a month or so.

Let us know how this deal works out. I have a real microtech combat troodon but have considered buying a clone so I won't feel so bad if I tear it up.

hummerduude54

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im curious too... I have an Ultratech and would like a Halo, have been looking for a used one and ran across one for $170 new... immediately threw up the flag. Googled about counterfit ones, they apparently all have the same serial number, emailed the guy selling this one to see what the serial is and if I can get some close up pictures of some of the areas to spot a counterfit ones, while googling also led me back here haha so im anxious to see what you find out

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the Halo V

i1135.photobucket.com_albums_m627_zghorner_13077185_10101800950053891_1074812985_n.jpg

i1135.photobucket.com_albums_m627_zghorner_13045634_10101800949994011_1202079328_n.jpg

Cracks me up how the paperwork has factory warranty info...

Comes with a pretty nice kydex holster with a knockoff tek-lok belt attachment. The plastic is very flimsy compared to the real deal.

I saw a video of an actual halo V punching through an apple when opening so I tried it with my chinotech and only about 1" punched into it. So naturally I had my girlfriend tossing apples at me to kabob them mid air and got about 3" of penetration.

The blade does open with authority (although not like the real deal) and locks up nice and tight. I have already annoyed everyone around me with my constant "snikt" retract "snikt"...The blade itself looks really nice and comes with a nice edge on it. I'm not going to do a full blow torture test on it but will report back once it has seen some use.

Initial impressions are positive. I was minutes away from ordering a cheap "lightning" OTF knife for $30 and assuming quality is similar it was worth the extra $20 for the extra size and style of the MT clone. Ill update once I get the other knife I ordered in about a week

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far so good. Me and my son have literally spent hours the last few days walking around my 5 acres and using this knife like a machete chopping down thorn bushes, weeds, new/small branches on oak trees etc...also been using it for general things like slicing open bags of pool salt and what not. I'm impressed with how well the edge is holding up. Its not razor sharp but still holding up better than any old timer ive owned (pre and post sell out).

Had to of opened and closed this thing over 100 Xs and still shoots out like the first time. One concern I have is this thing opening in my pocket. I'm not going to use the kydex holster with tek-lok style belt attachment because I never wear a belt. I do wear overalls every day and have been putting in in one of the slender leg pockets with the button facing IN. Due to my apple puncture tests I dont think it would be too devastating if it were to open but id still like to avoid it. The only other concern is the added danger to my kids. I understand all knives should be kept away from kids but this thing has me paranoid...thats a big sharp blade that shoots out pretty dang fast. So every night I lock it into the kydex holster and put it up. Nothing more than a little parental responsibility lol.

Expecting the other microtech clone any day now and looking forward to the auto retraction. I like the Halo V style a bunch, the handle and blade shape are both excellent, but having to pinch the bottom and manually retract the blade isn't as cool.

i1135.photobucket.com_albums_m627_zghorner_13113056_10101804651780601_158848619_o.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom