Im Wanting an OTF Auto Knife BAD, Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did that makora clone come in yet? Give us the details.

straight garbage man don't buy one. You can tell its a "cheaper" clone from the get go. they tried with the Halo, they didn't even give a crap with this one.

Ive had it nearly a week and have been waiting to give a review because it has been sketchy on reliability. Tonight it crapped out on me for good and I plan on (trying) to get my money back. At first I was excited about it...I could tell it was more dainty than the halo and have been babying this thing...no letting my kid use it as a machete lol. It worked "okay" at first...not nearly the release force of the halo clone but I figured it wasn't a big deal since its a dif design and it was locking up fine. After about 20 or so uses (in, out, in, out) I had the blade give me a few failures to open and lock in completely. I noticed all the mini screws holding the thing together were loose...like threaded in but not tightened even a bit. So I bought a set of mini torx head wrenches and applied a small amount of blue Loctite to them and tightened them all down. It seemed to fix it but i could feel the spring tension decrease every day and like I said, tonight its so weak it wont even lock into position.

Total bummer because I really like the style of this knife. Its really slim and the auto in and out is handy. I was more excited about this one than the halo and man did it let me down.

On the other hand...the halo is still running strong and I have been abusing the thing.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang, that sucks. I was hoping that makora would be good to go. It could be a friction issue. You might try giving it a few drops of oil to see if that helps. I use mil-comm tw25b on my combat troodon. I ran it dry once and thought the spring was giving out. After I disassembled, cleaned, and oiled it up, the blade fired strong again. So now I give it a few drops occasionally and clean it twice a year.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought a Benchmade Infidel, daggers soon to be legal, from H&H to go along with my regular Benchmade & Protech autos. D2 steel, fires well, and is sharp as a razor. My next OTF will be a Protech. Microtech interests me but their CS has been getting a bad rap on the forums.
I did pick up a Benchmade SOCP spear point which is an excellent grappling knife that gives you time to access your main weapon. I can have it in my right hand and still draw and fire my pistol. I'm right handed. A bit off topic but thought I would toss that out there.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been emailing the guy on this makora trying to explain that it is defective...he aint having it lol. I'm just "doing it wrong" haha. I sent him a video of what its doing and still: "THE way maybe is not correct. i send you video. pls wait." "you should Hard to jilt knife like the video !!!"

Meanwhile the Halo V is still a trooper, been carrying it everyday and abusing it whenever I can.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought a Benchmade Infidel, daggers soon to be legal, from H&H to go along with my regular Benchmade & Protech autos. D2 steel, fires well, and is sharp as a razor. My next OTF will be a Protech. Microtech interests me but their CS has been getting a bad rap on the forums.
I did pick up a Benchmade SOCP spear point which is an excellent grappling knife that gives you time to access your main weapon. I can have it in my right hand and still draw and fire my pistol. I'm right handed. A bit off topic but thought I would toss that out there.
I just sent my ultratech back to microtech cause of the spring, took a little over 4 weeks, sent it back to me with no issues, freshly sharpened and tuned up, I was skeptical at first cause I heard the same but was pleasantly surprised, I've sent some knives back to benchmade, which I love, and it took same amount of time to get back, zghorner, I'm selling my ultratech, it's just not feasible for me, it's in the knives classifieds if you are interested

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you get your money back?
I got half of my money back lol. It was like pulling teeth, 20 emails back and forth with pictures and a video demonstrating the knife failing. DHGate definitely aint amazon. I opened the knife up and it has a steel tab broken. the seller said he would send me a new part if I bought something else from his store to save on shipping cost :rolleyes2

I touched it with my mig and it looked really solid but only lasted a few cycles in and out. The metal is obviously too brittle...it is on the end of the spring that catches the blade when retracting and prevents it from slamming into the housing (handle). I'm a riggin son of a gun but this looks like a difficult piece to come up with. I called microtech and asked if they sold parts and they said I could send the knife in to them for repairs...I said, LOLZ no thanks. I am considering buying a $10 knife in hopes he sends the replacement part than maybe try to reinforce the tab with something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom