In Search of the Perfect Holster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which holster?

• Rawdog Tactical IWB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bravo Concealment DOS

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Old model Alien Gear

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Please specify in the comments)

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True. But I’m sure getting to where I like the lower riding TT Gunleather rigs a lot. The more I wear them, the better they seem to get it. Here’s a couple pics of the TT Slim XC, for my G29. It’s all leather, very well made, dual loops, and purty to boot. It rides quite a bit lower than the Sparks VMII my G 19 calls home. Now, I’m in no way saying the VM II is not a superb rig cause it sure is. But the TT Gunleather offerings are every bit as good. Choices are a good thing, by the way. I am happy with both and wouldn’t switch either one; I like the VM II for the G19 and I like the Slim XC for the G29. I like the lower ride of the XC mainly due to the heavy grip of the fully loaded G29 as compared to the relatively shorter barrel. And I am satisfied with the VM II for the G19 cause it just works right; as if it was made to conceal this exact pistol...which, when you think about it, it was. And man, is this purty XC from TT Gunleather ever one thin leather holster. Yep. Check it out:
a73bc6ed1b2a17cb8611b6bb11b10272.jpg
fe8b57152330f1ba5a1a032e2c4dd736.jpg
fd9ea11363c422dfad89d12b7d692805.jpg

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Let me explain why I don't like clips:

I have had two problems with kydex clips:
1) Relaxing due to heat in a car. Despite my efforts, sometimes it is necessary to keep a gun in a car. In the summer in Oklahoma car interiors get hot. I usually try to crack a window/sunroof, but don't always. I had the Kydex clips on a holster from a respected maker relax to the point there was no retention at all.
2) Breaking. Kydex clips have to flex a bit to go over the belt, both on and off. I have had a clip break off at the bend after a couple years use.

"Standard" metal clips wear holes in garments. That gets old.

Another problem with a "standard" type clip of any material is retention. Let me illustrate:

spring-belt-clip-nickel-plate-1240-00-600_430.jpg

If something catches the bottom flared end while traveling upwards, the clip is pulled out and up, and can easily lift the entire holster (and gun) out.

Yes, I had that happen. In a doctor's office waiting room. I was pulling a hoodie off, and the bottom of the hoodie caught the metal clip, pulling it out and up, and dumped the holstered gun on the floor. Rather loudly. It was awkward.

Hard loops from kydex are OK, because they aren't flexed, don't relax (or at least it wouldn't affect retention) and can't get unintentionally released. However they are less convenient to put on/off as they must be threaded onto the belt. My preference for a holster that may need to be removed or installed during the course of the day is snap loops.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(see post #4 above)
Let me explain why I don't like clips:

I have had two problems with kydex clips:
1) Relaxing due to heat in a car. Despite my efforts, sometimes it is necessary to keep a gun in a car. In the summer in Oklahoma car interiors get hot. I usually try to crack a window/sunroof, but don't always. I had the Kydex clips on a holster from a respected maker relax to the point there was no retention at all.
2) Breaking. Kydex clips have to flex a bit to go over the belt, both on and off. I have had a clip break off at the bend after a couple years use.

"Standard" metal clips wear holes in garments. That gets old.

Another problem with a "standard" type clip of any material is retention. Let me illustrate:

spring-belt-clip-nickel-plate-1240-00-600_430.jpg

If something catches the bottom flared end while traveling upwards, the clip is pulled out and up, and can easily lift the entire holster (and gun) out.

Yes, I had that happen. In a doctor's office waiting room. I was pulling a hoodie off, and the bottom of the hoodie caught the metal clip, pulling it out and up, and dumped the holstered gun on the floor. Rather loudly. It was awkward.

Hard loops from kydex are OK, because they aren't flexed, don't relax (or at least it wouldn't affect retention) and can't get unintentionally released. However they are less convenient to put on/off as they must be threaded onto the belt. My preference for a holster that may need to be removed or installed during the course of the day is snap loops.

Well put. I do agree, but find the kydex clips on the TT Gunleather KX Lightweights to be just fine for my G43. The design of these makes it next to impossible to pull off inadvertently. Could they be affected by heat? Well, sure they could, but it's gonna be a hot dang day to do that to these heavy duty babies. No way would I want a gun that was much bigger or heavier in that rig though. For that, I also say it's better to go with dual loops to fit the belt. Now, take a look at these kydex clips; (see post #4 above) they are a bit different than most. While I generally do prefer the loops, I wanted to give this rig a try, and I am quite happy with it. If it gives me any grief, i could always ask him to make me a set of loops to fit it, or probably even set it up like that myself with some of the extra belt loops I have around here... but I really don't anticipate anything going afoul.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
(see post #4 above)

Well put. I do agree, but find the kydex clips on the TT Gunleather KX Lightweights to be just fine for my G43. The design of these makes it next to impossible to pull off inadvertently. Could they be affected by heat? Well, sure they could, but it's gonna be a hot dang day to do that to these heavy duty babies. No way would I want a gun that was much bigger or heavier in that rig though. For that, I also say it's better to go with dual loops to fit the belt. Now, take a look at these kydex clips; (see post #4 above) they are a bit different than most. While I generally do prefer the loops, I wanted to give this rig a try, and I am quite happy with it. If it gives me any grief, i could always ask him to make me a set of loops to fit it, or probably even set it up like that myself with some of the extra belt loops I have around here... but I really don't anticipate anything going afoul.

I'll have to see if I still have those clips in my holster bucket.

I do agree that as far as Kydex clips go those are acceptable. I still won't buy another holster with clips.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the plastic, might be Kydex clips with the bottom of the belt tab open some as noted above on my older Alien Gear 3 IWB. A couple minutes with a hair dryer on the curve, a little pressure, then under the faucet puts them back closed. Done that 3-4 times over the past several years with the same one only on the rear side for some reason. Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom