Indian Ishapore 7.62x51 NATO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i've been keepin an eye out for a 308 milsurp. the ish or a spanish mauser would work.you would want to download the ammo some i would think.do you have a line on one?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that at least one person on here has one (Mitch Rapp). I had one but traded it towards a 1911 purchase before even firing it.

As far as a SHTF weapon, I would think that there would be much better alternatives out there in the price range that the Ishapore's are currently going for (normally $275-$300'ish). If you can pick one up for a fair price you at least have a common, fairly inexpensive caliber and a large magazine capacity (12 round if original mag, or 10 if converted by importer due to federal regulations). If you're looking for a cheap "just in case" bolt action rifle, you might take a look at picking up a 91/30. For the same price as the Ishapore, you could probably pick up the rifle and 1000+ rounds of surplus ammo.

Last edited:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive been researching them too. Id like to get one and an israeli mauser in 308.

I think the ishy would serve your purpose but id go with a mosin and buy more ammo.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one already. I was just curious to see how many others here did. I like mine. It is heavy but this tends to damp recoil. Plus, I notice that there does not seem to be anything faster in a bolt action than an Enfield design.

One nice thing that I noticed is that the rifle's balance point seems to be in front of the magazine well. This makes it somewhat easier to carry with just one hand. I mentioned SHTF rifle. There are, it is true, probably better options out there for this, but the Ishapore would serve well in a SHTF capacity.

These rifles were made in the arsenal at Ishapore (hence the name) near Bangladesh, and they were all manufactured in the 1960's. It should also be noted that while the rifle is essentially an Enfield in design, it is not simply a re-barreled 303. These rifles were made from the ground up as 7.62x51 NATO with improved steel over the older Enfields. They were primarily issued to rear-echelon troops, and IIRC, some police units, while the front-line guys got something else; I want to say FN-FAL's, but I am not certain.

Anyway, I like the Ishy. Even if there are better rifles for SHTF, this is still one fun gun to own and shoot.

ronin0829

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they had the terrorist attack at the train station in Mumbia, India a few years back there were some pictures of local police carrying Enfield rifles, I would assume they were Ishapores.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they had the terrorist attack at the train station in Mumbia, India a few years back there were some pictures of local police carrying Enfield rifles, I would assume they were Ishapores.

It wasnt just the police. The Indian counter terrorism group was severely outgunned and I believe that they arrived on the scene late because all of them were in a separate part of the country.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one too and like it. My son and I bought two of them about ten years ago. They were either new or were used very little. The shoot great and are a good complement to our Brit 303's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom