Inertia vs Gas. Your opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fired my 1012 CZ today thats inertia powered. Full house 1 1/4oz kicked the hell out of me. Even some mouse fart 1oz lite loads were brutal compared to my Yildiz O&U 20.

This is my first non gas auto. Don't ever remember my 1187 thumping me much.

Curious to your opinions

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The softest shooting shotgun I ever had was a Benelli M1Super90. I genuinely think I could feel some difference. With full house loads though, you know, it just sucks. Did they suck a little bit less in the Benelli? Maybe, but if they did, I sure couldn't tell. If it's low brass, it's gonna feel soft, and if it's high brass it's gonna make you wanna go home, regardless of what you're shooting it out of. By the time anything in the gun moves, the bullet has already left the barrel, and you've already absorbed the vast majority of the recoil energy in your shoulder.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How the gun fits you is a huge factor. No semi auto should be kicking you harder than your O/U with the same loads. I've shot an O/U of some kind all of my life, with a little time with a Beretta A400Xcel semi auto. The Beretta recoil is about a fourth of what I feel out of my O/U with any loads.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How the gun fits you is a huge factor. No semi auto should be kicking you harder than your O/U with the same loads. I've shot an O/U of some kind all of my life, with a little time with a Beretta A400Xcel semi auto. The Beretta recoil is about a fourth of what I feel out of my O/U with any loads.

Fit seems to be spot on. I was smoking everything with the 1012. One of the reasons I bought the 1012 was for the fit. The O&U was a 20 gauge.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm lucky to have a Benelli M1014 ,which was the first gas shotgun they built. Recoil with about any load is a lot less painful.
M1014.jpg

bambihunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few things...
Newton's 3rd law of motion applies. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Most gas guns are heavier than the lighter inertia guns like Benelli's, thus, the "opposite" reaction feels different. I have a two old Super Black Eagle (1's) which are 3.5" mag. Shooting forward at a targets with the heaviest load isn't that much of an issue, but when you get those high fly-overs, where the recoil is more down on your collarbone or shoulder, than it is pushing back, those smart. Regardless, after a box or two of 3.5" mags, and I'll have the print of my shirt bruised into my skin for a few days.
Comparing weight to weight between gas, recoil, and inertia guns, you'll notice a small difference. The actual recoil energy is nearly identical. However, gas operation does siphon a tiny bit off for the action so there is slightly less jet of exhaust gasses coming out of the barrel. Long action recoil systems feel basically like gas guns, perhaps with a little more perceived vibration. The real difference is in the way the inertia actions cycle. The inertia systems have a short action stroke, which when measured, gives a shorter duration, but stronger recoil impulse. This is perceived as more recoil. In reality, it is kind of like the old .45 acp pistol vs. shooting a similar powered .40 for instance. The .45 with its lower velocity, gives more of a push where as higher velocity rounds give more of a snap.
A lot of the newer inertia guns like Benelli, have mitigated the "sharpness" with their ComforTech stock. Because I like my HK SBE's so much, I have stuck with the older styles without that feature. I now own most of the common Benelli models so I can compare head to head (M1, M3T, M4, Montefeltro, Ultralight, Super Sport, etc). Comparing my M1 or M3T (in inertia mode) to the gas operated M4, I can probably tell a difference with everything else the same. Changing ammo has more of an impact than anything though.
Truth be told, I don't think we'd still have seen a gas operated Benelli if not for the military requirement they participated in. The ARGO system used in the M1014 and M4 was adapted from the R1 rifle line. The ARGO system, and gas in general has less issues with hanging varying amount of gear and gadgets off the gun than the inertia system does which is calibrated for a small range of weight difference. I have two M4's, including the elusive and expensive NP3 treated H2O version (model 11711). Still, to me, Benelli IS inertia shotguns.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom