inexpensive flashlight Long life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not posting this in gear talk as most of those flashlight threads are over priced for me or some are less than what i expect.

What do I expect?
I want to pick up the flashlight and have it work and bright enough to see under the hood of my vehicle or bright enough to walk through the woods at night or into the back yard shed.

It does not take very many Lumens to get that job done.

I purchased the small 2 battery Rayovac AA bateries flashlight for less than 2 bucks 12 Lumens and 23 hours run time.
Plenty bright .
I also got the single D cell Rayovac that Lasts 52 hours,, a 2 pack for under 5 bucks.
Not as bright as the small flashlight.. but worked great for under hood and night walking.

Yes i have super bright flashlights that cost a bunch of bucks..(Given to me).
They actually get hot enough to turn off from the heat if you leave them on..
Life on the batteries for that one is less than 30 minutes.

Not something I care to keep feeding..If you need a spotlight then I suppose it will be handy.

These new Rayovac lights have LED bulbs.

Stocking stuffers if nothing else. Kids love flashlights,,

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a couple of the ones they have at the counter at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store. I think it has 7 leds and runs off 3 AAA batteries. Don't remember the price, but I'm sure they were around $5. They have worked great for me, long battery life, aluminum body, click button on the tail end.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of Ozark Trail flashlights from Wal-Mart. They run off of AA batteries, they're 225 and 250 lumens respectively (they look identical), and they each come with a 50 lumen headlamp, for about $15. I couldn't give you an hour rating on them, but they do run well on rechargeable AA batteries, which helps.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought several lights from Custom Flashlights USA at the gun shows. He is out of Stillwater and can set them up custom for you, whether you want a momentary switch, multiple modes or single, and has a variety of brightness choices, and also sells the 3.7v rechargeable batteries they all use and the recharging kits. They are all LED. His name is Mike Brown -- phone 405-624-9770, email [email protected].

For utility lights I like multiple modes, so you can use them on one of the lower light modes when called for and conserve batteries. For defensive/EDC lights, I like a single full brightness mode and a momentary tailcap, so it's always ready to blind the **** out of somebody and you can practice light discipline in a guns out situation. I have two of his 700 lumen lights that I have set up this way -- one for EDC and one that lives on my HD rifle most of the time. I have another 700 lumen model that doesn't have a momentary switch and steps down to two other brightness levels and does a strobe (don't really see a point in the strobe, but the multiple brightness settings are nice). I also have a 900 lumen monster light of his with a big long distance lens that you can set up to run on either one or two 3.7v batteries, depending on how long you want it to be/how much battery life you want. It really lights up the yard on max setting. It has 3 brightness modes as well, and will stand up on a flat surface on its tailcap, which is very handy for work. I used it a bunch earlier this month when our power was out for 3 days. You could go in a dark room, set it up on a dresser in front of a mirror, and even on the middle brightness setting, it would light the whole room up without shining in your eyes.

Redchief

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Coast hx5 flashlight from academy (then lost it) for $20. I was impressed by its toughness not to mention its brightness. First thing I did was put in a rechargeable AA. For as much as I used it I found it was not needed due to the long life. It has an adjustable focus that when retracted would sufficiently light up the front yard but when extended would cause your eyes to need to adjust to the blinding brightness. Lol I plan on getting another but u haven't had time. I miss it every day lol

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick up a 3 pack of these at Sam's.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/led-flashlight-3-pack-with-batterie/prod11770317.ip?navAction=

The 3 pack is usually around 20 bucks. Great lights for the money. Cheap enough to have them in every vehicle and in various locations around the house. There is also an adjustable beam version. I wasn't too impressed with those.

The Custom Flashlights option is good too. That guy has great stuff. He had a car stereo shop in Stillwater for years. Great guy to deal with.

UncleBigToe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The coast line seems to be a decent light for the money without stepping out into the $$$$....I have around 5 or ten diff models from headlamps to the 1000lumen "frog spotter" well cuz that's what it's used for....no major issues with them so far....

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Lux-Pro brand light at Lowes Home Improvement store a while back. I think I gave about 12 or 14 dollars for the model I bought. It runs off of 3 triple A batteries in a battery pack. Aluminum body and rubber grip, bight as all get out, I used it for over 3 hours straight at work during a power outage and I could never detect a drop off of brightness. I'm impressed, I've tried a lot of the lights that come off the counter at auto parts stores and this beats them all.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have almost as many headlamps as I do flashlights. After using them during Alaska's long "dark" winters I now wouldn't want to be without one.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pick up a 3 pack of these at Sam's.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/led-flashlight-3-pack-with-batterie/prod11770317.ip?navAction=

The 3 pack is usually around 20 bucks. Great lights for the money. Cheap enough to have them in every vehicle and in various locations around the house. There is also an adjustable beam version. I wasn't too impressed with those.

The Custom Flashlights option is good too. That guy has great stuff. He had a car stereo shop in Stillwater for years. Great guy to deal with.

We bought some similar to these ^^^^^ at Sams. Great flashlights for the money. Would buy 'em again...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom