Information on selling collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience or recommendation on selling a large collection of firearms. I have seen that Cabellas buys and also seen ads in Shotgun News in the past.
Probably around 100 firearms worth around $75K.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the type of guns.

Right now with the market as nutty as it is, no way I'd sell as a lot to Cabelas.

You mention Shotgun News...we did quite well selling my Grandfathers shotgun collection at Wanenmacher a few years ago. He had some high end stuff (one sold for about $8k), some regular stuff ($150) and everything in between but it sold like hotcakes.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it from the established members. Would rather sell to one dealer that is FFL or brokered by an FFL to a private collector, even if I have to take less. If that does not work may just list several small collections here or take to a show. Such as Beretta collection, Sig collection, Rock River collection Arsenal collection, etc. Smith, Ruger, HK, Kimber etc.
Thanks again for your feedback.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What they said above is true.

Pawn shops and gun stores give about 10-30% of the value. Seen it, experienced it.

You'd do 2X better than that listing them here in the classifieds.

Most gunshops that I know will not take consignment guns. I've tried. I don't know why.
Bass Pro recently bought a 60 gun collection that I know of. I'm certain the seller got what she wanted seeing as she didn't know the value of anything.

If it were me and based on my experiences, for 100 gun collection, I would get about 3 tables at a funshow and have at least 4 friends that can help you watch the tables for thieves.
Borrow a Blue Book of gun values,(I just dropped off 2 older ones at Jerrys reloading if you want them) look up online closed/SOLD auctions(-10-20%), and your experience with market demand and sell yourself.
Right now is a great time to sell most types of guns.

Good luck and if you have questions in particular just ask.

My opinion, ask each buyer if they are legal and not prohibited to buy and own firearms, no out of state sales unless they go through a dealer. I want to see an Okla DL or CCW for a ftf transaction.

BE CAREFUL, the alfabet Rats are trying to bust gun sellers for illegal sales.
I've experienced it Myself.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As @adamsredlines said it really depends on the guns themselves --- selling things like AR's and pistols is going to go high right now, but things like safari rifles aren't exactly flying off the shelves. Wanenmacher table is probably your best best unless you really wanted to make sure it went through a FFL. Even then, you as a private seller could still require transfer through a FFL that is not a money grubbing sucubus like Cabelas --- maybe you could work with Broken Arrow National Guns and just suck up the $10 he charges. If that applied off of the 100, you're looking at $1000 down compared to $30,000 doing through a money grubber.

Or, if you send me a list and I can't say now then I'll pay his FFL charge if you give me enough of a discount to clean the collection ;)

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Branch Auctions in Goldsby, OK. I've been to several of his auctions where they are liquidating estates/collection. I'm not sure what he charges. He'll also sell ammo, accessories, whatever if it's gun related. Branchauctions.com

As a side note from my personal experience, guns at auction bring retail prices on firearms with a value less than 500 dollars. As a buyer, the best bargains are on firearms worth over 2k.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100 is quite an undertaking but you’ll get maximum dollar if you do them one at a time or small groups of 3 or so.

This. If you don’t want to get tables at Wanenmacher, plan on selling them individually or in small lots and figure on taking months or more to get it all done. And watch out for the alphabet folks trying to entrap you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom