Interest in finishing your own AR Lower Receiver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interested in this project also. I would buy an 80% lower now if I could. I like the idea. I have a friend that made some lowers from blanks. He is a machinist and he made them on manual machines at work. His boss looked the other way.

OKC_Gunsmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, what is broaching? To me they look fine.

The broaching process as referenced here refers to shaping the metal in a way that is not easily formed by conventional machining processes. E.g. tight corners / sharp internal lines. If you look at earlier pictures in this thread you will see the mag wells were initially oval shaped and in the pictures above they are shaped to accept magazines. Check here for a video of the broaching in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erO7RMP_GzE

A matching billet upper and lower in 308 would be fantubular

Soon. I've got a few goodies planned in the upcoming months, just need to get this under my belt first.

On a side note, the measuring arm shipped today, so I should have pictures shortly.

OKC_Gunsmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all, sorry for the delay. I've been in and out of the country and working with various vendors for the arms company, but I've not forgotten about the 80% enthusiasts.
The measuring arm arrived, and the issues with broaching have been resolved. I'm also working with another shop here in Oklahoma that has the ability to EDM the magwells if anyone is interested in that option.
More to come!

i42.tinypic.com_somgrp.png

i44.tinypic.com_2n8ppps.png

i39.tinypic.com_34oc745.png

Oh, and a teaser for some of the other products coming soon.

i43.tinypic.com_2jflxdy.png

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It means using an EDM to cut the magwells. An EDM is about the most precise machine you could ever ask for.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how are things looking for this? I've got another person who is DEFINITELY interested. And we said the custom rollmarks and serials are easily doable, is that right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom