Interest in finishing your own AR Lower Receiver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Custom roll marks are not a problem.
Custom s/n's take a LONG time unless your BIL WORKS AT BATF.

I thought personally-finished 80% lowers did not even have to HAVE SNs, just that some people put them on to be able to identify them easier? I want either an EMS Star of Life or a caduceus rollmark, and the other party I have interested definitely wants a caduceus. I'm serious about this and ready to move forward, if anyone else is. My lowers from Honeybee should be here soon, and I've still got a couple of Mag Tacticals, but the custom lowers are really my first choice! :D

<edit> To clarify about the serials... my understanding is they are NOT required, especially if you are going to keep the self-finished lower yourself for life. It cannot be transferred without a serial, and I was for some reason thinking you could not transfer it at all... but something I read elsewhere contradicted that. I am not inclined to believe that however (the intarwebz). Doesn't matter to me, as I am going to make mine and keep them forever. The crux is about imprinting serials... I did not think you needed to get the serial number approved or assigned by the BATFE, you just put your own on there and kept a record. Is this not correct? So I could have a serial number of "SN:tRidiot001" and so on, with no one having any say in what I used, nor needing any approval.

AFRCOM says this.
That link has many posts, with some linking to ATF that suggests you can put your own serial without any approval. If that's the case, then hot diggity. I am in and will think about what I want! :D

Last edited:

OKC_Gunsmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,
Things are coming along quite well here. We just ordered a $250,000 horizontal mill capable of mass producing uppers, lowers and lots more at a very quick pace which will help drive the cost down also.
Meanwhile our Class 2 Type 10 FFL has arrived and so we are gearing up for a new large scale Oklahoma based and veteran owned weapons company that will be producing lots of interesting items.

The make your own receiver venture is not affiliated with the FFL and each person making their receivers is responsible for ensuring they follow the law. (No felons, etc)
That being said, it is my understanding that personally made weapons do not require a serial number or you can put whatever you want on them and they do not have to be registered. Please do your own checking on this to ensure you remain compliant. / end lawyer speak
Late June to mid July seams reasonable. We were delayed due to needing additional equipment and not wanting to commit until the FFL was approved, now that we have it in hand things are full steam ahead.
Custom markings are still on the table and will be offered as part of the package.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,
Things are coming along quite well here. We just ordered a $250,000 horizontal mill capable of mass producing uppers, lowers and lots more at a very quick pace which will help drive the cost down also.
Meanwhile our Class 2 Type 10 FFL has arrived and so we are gearing up for a new large scale Oklahoma based and veteran owned weapons company that will be producing lots of interesting items.

The make your own receiver venture is not affiliated with the FFL and each person making their receivers is responsible for ensuring they follow the law. (No felons, etc)
That being said, it is my understanding that personally made weapons do not require a serial number or you can put whatever you want on them and they do not have to be registered. Please do your own checking on this to ensure you remain compliant. / end lawyer speak
Late June to mid July seams reasonable. We were delayed due to needing additional equipment and not wanting to commit until the FFL was approved, now that we have it in hand things are full steam ahead.
Custom markings are still on the table and will be offered as part of the package.

I would be interested in this. Also, excited and interested to know that an OK based firearms manufacturing company is in the works.

A side question, will your shop be able to take on custom prototype manufacturing for accessories or even receivers, ect? How much do you think this type of service would cost. Do you have access to 3d printers for rapid prototyping before any actual milled prototypes are started on?

Thanks

OKC_Gunsmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be interested in this. Also, excited and interested to know that an OK based firearms manufacturing company is in the works.

A side question, will your shop be able to take on custom prototype manufacturing for accessories or even receivers, ect? How much do you think this type of service would cost. Do you have access to 3d printers for rapid prototyping before any actual milled prototypes are started on?

Thanks

Yes, we can handle anything you want. We currently have 18 CNC and manual mills and lathes at our disposal and are looking at ordering more to beef up production capacity.
Cost would depend on the project but it will be reasonable. Send me a PM if you have something specific you would like to see made.
We currently have two 3D printers for rapid prototyping, though I'm not always pleased with the results vs the real thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom