Interesting article in the Garand Collectors Association magazine...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So - admitting pretty much complete ignorance here about this, anyone want to fill me in on the CMP? Share a link or two? Never heard of it before starting to read this board a month or so ago.

http://thecmp.org

They are putting on a series of events here in OKC starting next Wednesday. If you have the time, it might be worth a visit to see it.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rack numbers give it a more authentic military feel. At least that is why I like them.

I do think that is a big part of it. With a rack number it is a bit easier to picture it being 'Private Smith's' rifle. Of course some guy's won't like these rack numbers as they aren't American, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully they would be cheaper becaus of the influx if them and the wear, maybe then I could obtain one

I seriously doubt they'll be any cheaper than the current CMP prices, which are already about the cheapest you'll find for a M1 Garand anywhere. They'll just have more Rack and Field Grades to sell, is all. Plus, the supply of M1's coming out of the CMP isn't large enough to bring down asking prices in the non-CMP classifieds or at gun shows. More people than not are clueless about the CMP as well, so they don't know they can get a M1 cheaper there than from a guy at the gunshow, and sellers "in the know" tend to capitalize on that ignorance.

I do wonder how they'll price the IHC's. My WAG is those will be slotted a bit higher than the WRA's, with a Service Grade mixmaster postage stamp IHC going for $900-$1000.

I'm one of those guys who don't care for rack numbers; I'd pay more to get a stock that hasn't been stamped thus. To each his or her own :)

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys who don't care for rack numbers; I'd pay more to get a stock that hasn't been stamped thus. To each his or her own :)

I don't like 'em either. While the U.S. did use them, I believe most we see today are foreign additions.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those Greeks were beautiful.

The latest Hellenic Air Force batch has been nice, but the first batch in 2005 or so were CRAP! Well worn, terrible wood (beech and other firewood-quality stocks), lots of the "Greek park" finishes.

Personally, I'm hoping for some Carbines with the Turk returns.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The latest Hellenic Air Force batch has been nice, but the first batch in 2005 or so were CRAP! Well worn, terrible wood (beech and other firewood-quality stocks), lots of the "Greek park" finishes.

Personally, I'm hoping for some Carbines with the Turk returns.

Ok, SOME of those Greeks were beautiful. LOL.

Mine was pratically brand new, purchased from that early batch, but I shelled out the extra coin to get a "Correct" grade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom