Is 0.166 MOA reasonable with an AR-pattern rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't DREAM of shooting a Post-it note from 300yrds with iron sights.

Actually, I'd be happy to put a 25% of my rounds into a Post-it note with iron sights at 100yrds...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to meet a person that could consistently shoot 1/2" at 100 yards with iron sights.

You need to check out the 1000 yard matches at the Camp Perry National Matches with open sights. BTW the win was with an AR platform rifle.

Rifle Shooter contributing editor David Tubb captured the recently concluded NRA Long Range Championships at Camp Perry, OH. His aggregate score of 1249-68X-just one point off a perfect score-now stands as the national record and bested his closest competitor by two points.

The long-range championship consists of four 20-shot matches at 1,000 yards. Two of the matches are any-sight and two are iron-sight. The aggregate also includes a Palma Match, with 15 shots each at 800, 900 and 1,000 yards with iron-sighted .308s.

In the any-sight matches Tubb used a Tubb 2000 rifle topped with a Premier scope. He built his 6XC handload with Norma brass and his own DTAC 115-grain 6mm bullet and Hodgdon powder. He loaded Sierra .308 bullets for the Palma portion of the competition.
But equipment is, of course, only one part of the equation. The other is preparation.

“I spend lots of time teaching wind-reading skills during my classes,” he told Rifle Shooter. “This helps to sharpen my long-range shooting skills when I compete.”
Tubb is understandably pleased with his performance, particularly winning the Wimbledon Cup en route to his overall victory with a 200-10X. “It’s the most prestigious any rifle/any sight match in the world,” he said. “Overall, I am most happy that I was able to perform to my abilities.”

Read more: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/unca...-long-range-rifle-championship/#ixzz3AiQAqTrn

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to check out the 1000 yard matches at the Camp Perry National Matches with open sights. BTW the win was with an AR platform rifle.

Rifle Shooter contributing editor David Tubb captured the recently concluded NRA Long Range Championships at Camp Perry, OH. His aggregate score of 1249-68X-just one point off a perfect score-now stands as the national record and bested his closest competitor by two points.

The long-range championship consists of four 20-shot matches at 1,000 yards. Two of the matches are any-sight and two are iron-sight. The aggregate also includes a Palma Match, with 15 shots each at 800, 900 and 1,000 yards with iron-sighted .308s.

In the any-sight matches Tubb used a Tubb 2000 rifle topped with a Premier scope. He built his 6XC handload with Norma brass and his own DTAC 115-grain 6mm bullet and Hodgdon powder. He loaded Sierra .308 bullets for the Palma portion of the competition.
But equipment is, of course, only one part of the equation. The other is preparation.

“I spend lots of time teaching wind-reading skills during my classes,” he told Rifle Shooter. “This helps to sharpen my long-range shooting skills when I compete.”
Tubb is understandably pleased with his performance, particularly winning the Wimbledon Cup en route to his overall victory with a 200-10X. “It’s the most prestigious any rifle/any sight match in the world,” he said. “Overall, I am most happy that I was able to perform to my abilities.”

Read more: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/unca...-long-range-rifle-championship/#ixzz3AiQAqTrn

I didn't say it couldn't be done I just said I would like to meet the man that could do it consistently. Those guys that shoot those matches are bad asses though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say it couldn't be done I just said I would like to meet the man that could do it consistently. Those guys that shoot those matches are bad asses though.

Yes they are. I got to attend the Camp perry matches in the past as part of my Army Reserve duty after Active duty. I volunteered to work the night shift in the kitchens so I could watch the 1K matches during the day.

Didn't get much sleep. Those folks were Awesome.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If we are talking ARs and irons sights - why quote an achievement with a scoped tube gun?

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mo, read the sentence above what you highlighted. The article highlighted what he used for the any-sight portion of it. They didn't go into any detail on his open sight setup...

"The long-range championship consists of four 20-shot matches at 1,000 yards. Two of the matches are any-sight and two are iron-sight. The aggregate also includes a Palma Match, with 15 shots each at 800, 900 and 1,000 yards with iron-sighted .308s."

He took 40 shots at a 1000 yard target with open sights... They said he was only 1 point off from a perfect score. That one point could have came from any of the 95 total shots - thats nuts!!! He made between 39 and 40 perfect hits at 1000 yards with open sights. I don't think all of us put together could total that.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mo, read the sentence above what you highlighted. The article highlighted what he used for the any-sight portion of it. They didn't go into any detail on his open sight setup...

"The long-range championship consists of four 20-shot matches at 1,000 yards. Two of the matches are any-sight and two are iron-sight. The aggregate also includes a Palma Match, with 15 shots each at 800, 900 and 1,000 yards with iron-sighted .308s."

He took 40 shots at a 1000 yard target with open sights... They said he was only 1 point off from a perfect score. That one point could have came from any of the 95 total shots - thats nuts!!! He made between 39 and 40 perfect hits at 1000 yards with open sights. I don't think all of us put together could total that.

There is total of 125 shots for aggregate.
2x20 - match rifle 1000 yards: prone, single lens sight, Tubb2000 in 6XC, 2-MOA 10-ring
2x20 - any rifle 1000 yards: prone, Premier scope, Tubb2000 in 6XC, 1-MOA 10-ring
3x15 - Palma 800/900/1000: prone, single lens sight, Tubb2000 in 308Win, 2.5/2.2/2.0 MOA ring
Tubb is an amazing shooter with 30 years of highest level of experience.

D462_3238_img.jpg

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, I correct your mis-reading and I did the same thing. I glossed over the fact of the 15 shots at each range part. Glad you can add because I couldn't.

And yes, Tubb is an amazing shot.

I'm curious now... When they said open sight, I interpreted that to mean "irons". So, what do they mean by single lens then? Are they meaning a red dot sight like a primary arms or EOTech?

Latest posts

Top Bottom