Is .40 S&W Dead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look at this video. The Oregon State Troopers were issued either .40 Glocks or M&P 40s at the time of this incident, they were in the process of switching over to M&Ps. See if you can tell if the guy was hit. Hint: He was found about a half mile down the road dead with a single shot to the chest. Notice how he moves when he returns to his car.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q1gYEG1TzBk[/video]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look at this video. The Oregon State Troopers were issued either .40 Glocks or M&P 40s at the time of this incident, they were in the process of switching over to M&Ps. See if you can tell if the guy was hit. Hint: He was found about a half mile down the road dead with a single shot to the chest. Notice how he moves when he returns to his car.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q1gYEG1TzBk[/video]

I can't watch video's as I'm on a metered service. Give me the cliff notes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't watch video's as I'm on a metered service. Give me the cliff notes.

Ok, I saw this on my cell phone. It brings back the endless discussion of "knock down" power and lethality.

Nothing knocks down anybody. It may have 1000lbs of "knock down" but in reality, it just passes through. I've shot enough deer to know that if you lung/heart shoot them, they will run a distance before expiring because death happens when the brain runs out of blood. Heart/lungs blown completely into mush.

There are multiple video's online that will show a person shot with a machine gun that doesn't get "knocked down".

Until one understands what causes death, this argument is incapable of being solved. Penetration into the vitals is what causes death by loss of blood to the brain.

If a light weight bullet can't reach the vitals, death will not occur quickly. It might take a half mile or so. Same reason so many deer get lost every year. Bad shot, they run, don't bleed much, and die way down the creek.

Same in a gunfight. Not all shots are in the perfect place, and may not have penetration into the vitals. As I've said ballistic gel is only good for displaying what a bullet will do in the gel, not in real life.

In real life knock down power is calibrated by my social finger. When at a match, I calibrate a rear falling steel popper by a touch of my social finger. If it takes more than a few ounces of pressure its too much, and won't go down when hit with a .45, .40 or 9mm. The 10 pound plate does not go slamming down by the force of a pistol round. It merely teeters backwards and falls.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He runs like a rabbit back to his car and hauls a$$ down the road. OBTW, he stopped, picked up his mag off the ground, reloaded it, thought about shooting some more, then decided against it before nimbly running back. He's dead right there, but his body hadn't figured it out yet. He wasn't on anything either, no drugs or alcohol.

They had no idea why he did it, he wasn't in any trouble, was a combat vet, and had his kids in the car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like we cross posted.

I just put the vid up to show what you just said is true. If .40 isn't anymore effective than that with law enforcement HP ammo, then I can't fathom why it's better than 9mm with the same good ammo since you have more of it on hand, more controllable, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...Same in a gunfight. Not all shots are in the perfect place, and may not have penetration into the vitals. As I've said ballistic gel is only good for displaying what a bullet will do in the gel, not in real life...
Good thing we have enough shootings in real life to compare between calibers, with an overwhelming consensus by MDs and ballistic-experts that 9mm is just as effective as .40. And given that 70%-80% of shots fired are misses, it seems the most important variable is getting more hits on target...which means for most people 9mm will be more effective because they (a) have more ammo in the gun, (b) increase shootability, and (c) can train more.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
40 has knockdown power. 9mm is a mouse gun. Ballistics gel is useless because it doesn't mimmick flesh. Most gun fights take place at 20 paces so I need bigger and accurater gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom