Is .40 S&W Dead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youngers Bend

Marksman
Reaction score
The snappy recoil of my Glock 23 reminds me of the snappy recoil of my Glock 26. Neither of which gets my attention. I grew up shooting 4 inch .357 Magnums, and graduated to a 2 1/4 inch S&W Model 640-1 .357 Magnum. Compared to the days when double action magnums were King, .40 recoil is unimpressive.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still, the best one-shot-stop of all time is a 357 magnum with a 125 gr. JHP @ 1,500 fps...

A coroner will tell you that the a bullet in the middle of the the chest - "between the nipples" WILL drop the BG, no matter what what they are hopped up on!

From FBI reports over the past 20 years, when law enforcement got away from revolvers, and went strictly to semi-automatic handguns, the mortality rate for law enforcement officers, made a drastic increase...

A good 357 magnum is inherently more accurate than the semi-auto's, and is much easier to control than most .40 cals, and a lot easier than most .45's...

Yeah, I know this has nothing to do with the 40 S&W. Just my 2 cents worth...

I can tell you from personal experience that this coroner statement is not true. After shooting the suspect in the chest 1 1/2" to the right of his heart he ran another 50 feet towards us before collapsing. 5 minutes later while I was on the ground with him he took his last breath.

I've got the complete investigative report and autopsy results if youd like to read them.

And if it makes any difference at all we were shooting 158 grain jacketed hollow points.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If a chicken can run for minutes without a head, why can't a man run with a bullet in the chest, no matter the diameter or speed of the bullet?

yes, I've been drinking :sunbath:

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any practical use for a .40 anymore?? Does anyone out there still believe in the usefulness of the round or is it dead??
Nobody seems to be interested in them at the moment..

This was the actual question. Not is the 9mm good enough. Clearly the 9mm is fine. Navy just announced they are phasing out their 9mm 226 in favor of the Glock 19 so the 9mm will continue on for another few decades.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was the actual question. Not is the 9mm good enough. Clearly the 9mm is fine. Navy just announced they are phasing out their 9mm 226 in favor of the Glock 19 so the 9mm will continue on for another few decades.
To answer the actual question, one has to determine if the 9mm (or something else) is good enough, or better. If 9mm is good enough for a given purpose, .40 typically isn't of practical use. I'm sure there's other ways to approach the issue, but this is definitely the most common dilemma. That is, if 9mm is good enough, why would you stick with .40? That is where this debate always ends up.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To answer the actual question, one has to determine if the 9mm (or something else) is good enough, or better. If 9mm is good enough for a given purpose, .40 typically isn't of practical use. I'm sure there's other ways to approach the issue, but this is definitely the most common dilemma. That is, if 9mm is good enough, why would you stick with .40? That is where this debate always ends up.

Man, thats just Crazy thinking
Ya gotta have a fawty to say....ima busta fawty in yaas PLaYah.....you cant say that with a little stinkin 9..All ya can say then is....im going to busta a cap in ya fuul
See ...just dont work that way......feel me....;/

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, thats just Crazy thinking
Ya gotta have a fawty to say....ima busta fawty in yaas PLaYah.....you cant say that with a little stinkin 9..All ya can say then is....im going to busta a cap in ya fuul
See ...just dont work that way......feel me....;/

Like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom