Is .40 S&W Dead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.40 had to have lived at one point to be dead.
I think maybe Lone Wolf is poisoning the drinking water at the SHOT Show so other companies will keep making new .40 models

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just look at the ballistics test and gel test of 40 versus 9. Nothing else needs to be said.

Ballistics gel sucks as a medium to test rounds other than to demonstrate what rounds will do in ballistic gel.

Introduce things like buttons, ribs, badges, cell phones, etc, the whole game changes. Kenetic energy comes into play.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In regard to real-world situations (i.e., actual shootings), how do these things change the effects of 9mm in comparison to .40?

heavier bullet vs lighter bullet. Same velocity basically. Ribs, bones, cell phones.

A .177 pellet gun at 17 grains will not have the penetration as a .22 LR at the same velocity. A .50 caliber Sharps at 1400 fps will kill a bison. A 9mm at the same velocity will probably not penetrate the skin.

Edit: all that being said a .22lr is what my butcher uses to kill cows, and a .22 mag is used to kill bulls. With perfect shot placement, almost anything will kill. None of that is going to happen in a gunfight.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
heavier bullet vs lighter bullet. Same velocity basically. Ribs, bones, cell phones.

A .177 pellet gun at 17 grains will not have the penetration as a .22 LR at the same velocity. A .50 caliber Sharps at 1400 fps will kill a bison. A 9mm at the same velocity will probably not penetrate the skin.
I don't think the focus of this thread is pellet guns vs. .22--nor is it about killing bison.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ballistics gel sucks as a medium to test rounds other than to demonstrate what rounds will do in ballistic gel.

Introduce things like buttons, ribs, badges, cell phones, etc, the whole game changes. Kenetic energy comes into play.

Agree. I like the larger bullet of the .40 cal traveling at the same velocity as the smaller 9 mm. It will do more damage in gel or flesh. I can understand others comments on recoil but with practice it becomes a non-issue, at least for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom