Is airgun practce any benefit for uspsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is some spooky stuff. I was actually thinking about this just yesterday! Now that I've found the awesome targets what is a good quality airsoft pistol? One that mimics actual recoil?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
can't answer the question about benefit for uspsa, but as an avid air gunner. I can tell you hands down shooting air guns will improve your marksmanship.

I will guarantee, if you shoot an air pistol 5,000+ times.... You WILL see improvements.

recommendation is to find an old Benjamin pump up .22 pistol. they were made out of brass and will weight similar to your pistol. just as important, they have nice triggers.

pump up action slows your shot cycle and forces you to make your shot count. set a target at say at 15 ft or so. you can see immediate feedback as your groups gets tighter and tighter.

used to shoot 500+ pellets a week.... shooting that many cycles... it's impossible not to improve.

here's a pic of empty pellet tins from one season

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_pellettins.JPG

I wondered if practice with good quality air pistol provided much benefit for competition over dry firing? I live in an area where I could shoot a pellet or bb gun easily when I couldn't go to the range.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes Yes Shadow. I'm totally down with this and want to gear up. Give us the details Mike, Jesse, Chris!!

B

Chris is the expert on the guns. He has a mini USPSA nationals in his basement.

This is the gun Chris curently has.
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/airsoft_Tokyo_Marui_Hi_CAPA_5_1_Silver_GBB_Pistol_p/70511.htm
Here it is in stock and in black.
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/airsoft_Tokyo_Marui_Hi_CAPA_5_1_Black_GBB_Pistol_p/70512.htm
He just picked up a similar gun that has an aluminum slide which makes it feel more liek the real thing. He will have to tell us more about those.
Check out this guys YouTube stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZkKnN2UU4I

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can't answer the question about benefit for uspsa, but as an avid air gunner. I can tell you hands down shooting air guns will improve your marksmanship.

I will guarantee, if you shoot an air pistol 5,000+ times.... You WILL see improvements.

recommendation is to find an old Benjamin pump up .22 pistol. they were made out of brass and will weight similar to your pistol. just as important, they have nice triggers.

pump up action slows your shot cycle and forces you to make your shot count. set a target at say at 15 ft or so. you can see immediate feedback as your groups gets tighter and tighter.

used to shoot 500+ pellets a week.... shooting that many cycles... it's impossible not to improve.

here's a pic of empty pellet tins from one season

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_pellettins.JPG

Are you shooting air guns to get practice for bullseye or what type of competiton?

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jesse and Chris,

I've spent a couple hours now watching vids and checking out web sites. Looks like practicing in the garage is the way to go. The question I have is this..

It looks like the better air guns are 1911 style double stack STI-like. Is it a good idea to practice with one of those if you intend to shoot production on an M&P Pro? I know Chris shoots this gun in this category, but perhaps he is switching?

Is the M&P airsoft replica any good to practice with?

Thanks

B

Chris_Andersen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
B,

There is and M&P replica gun that you can buy from academy that is like $50. I got one when I first started playing around with this stuff. It is not a blowback postol, and it does run on C02 cartridges as well.

I wouldn't recommend it. The trigger is like 8 lbs and terrible, there is no recoil. And for about $50-70 more, you can get a propane blowback gun (I realize that is a lot, but they really are apples and oranges).

The gun I just picked up for Jesse at double tap is probably the way to go. It is a double stack 2011 replica. I have a 2011 its nice for me because it fits in that holster, but I can tell you that it is good practice for the M&P also.

That gun is a WE Hi-Capa 5.1 ($120). I got it from Manny Bragg (mannyusa.com). Manny is a USPSA Grand Master and I talked to him quite a bit with this thread in mind while I was down there. He just recently started getting the WE brand guns and has parts for them too. He also has the propane conversions and extra magazines as well some glock replica guns that are pretty good also.

Give him a call at 660-216-4826 and tell him that you talked to me. I mentioned to him this weekend that he might be hearing from a lot of Oklahoma guys about this stuff.

He also has an M-16 airsoft that is big fun. Not real practical, but I was pinging popper targets with it in full auto at 30 yards on the practice range. :)

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That m-16 was very fun. I think the look on our faces when you first heard
we heard the steel ding was that of a 5 year old on Xmas day.

I bought one of the 2011 airsoft guns and propane adaptors too. We can start an airsoft Steele challange match ;)

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chris, thanks for the info! I'm on it. I don't mind spending a bit more to get a good setup. I still don't know the difference between the CO2 and propane... anywhere I can read up on that? I'll also call Manny.

Thanks!

B

Latest posts

Top Bottom