Is it just me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, what would you do if you inherited literally hundreds of longenbuger baskets, and other “collectible” stuff you or the rest of your extended family don’t care for at all? We tried to find people that would like it and give it to them. I kept 1 tiny basket. I also have no use for the Santa clause collection or little figurines collection. Or the collection of ice boxes. My dad and his siblings refused to have an estate sale, so we had to work to give it away.
My statement couldn't be just black and white. Some things are the exception. But I would hope that a family could and would make room somewhere for the things that made that person happy in life. My wifes grandmother collected Shirley Temple dolls. about 12 inch dolls and had 15-20 in various costumes. We found a high shelf and thats where they will stay. lol

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the world of full-time RV'ers that have gotten rid of a "stix and brix" abode for an RV, so much of someone's belongings are just "stuff." It can be liberating to be rid of "stuff."

I doubt that there is much of anything that I own that either of our sons will want, so we don't have collections...

...unless one considers 3 cameras and numerous lenses a collection.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don’t get along already there is not much to loose in asking for them.
All he can do is say no. It may be polite and it may not. But least you will know where you stand.

Cutting frayed ties with family members can be therapeutic.
True. But I already know . . . the answer.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad has quite a few guns, when he's gone there's a few I'd keep, but some that were just "part of the collection".

Mom (a collector of porcelain and dolls, etc...) says "when Dad dies folks will fight to keep his stuff. When I die folks will fight over who has to take mine"

She ain't wrong.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My statement couldn't be just black and white. Some things are the exception. But I would hope that a family could and would make room somewhere for the things that made that person happy in life. My wifes grandmother collected Shirley Temple dolls. about 12 inch dolls and had 15-20 in various costumes. We found a high shelf and thats where they will stay. lol
We found a blue bin to transfer them to permanent offsite storage.

Life’s too short to keep a bunch of stuff you don’t like. Just to have the pleasure of dusting it and moving it around.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some "stuff" I kept because of sentiment, memories or usefulness.

Papa's gun, pipe, table saw. Grandma's cast iron skillet, hand sewn quilt.

Mom "collected" tea sets. She had them everywhere. She had mentioned always wanting a china hutch. Dad bought a hutch for anniversary. We had a "Russain Royal Coronation Tea Set" (replica) displayed at our coffee shop. Mom liked the style, design and color. We closed the shop and gave her the tea set. She displayed it in the china hutch. Birthdays and other occasions, people started giving tea sets, of every size. I built 2 display cases. There were 4 shelves. Tea sets everywhere.

After her funeral, I told the grandkids and great-grandkids, "if you want a tea set, take it." The first to step up was my oldest grandson. He said, "I want this one, I played with it, when I was little and got my hand swatted. I will give it to my daughter, when I have one."
My brother took a shadow box display. He seen where Mom had wrote on the back, "Mother's Day '05 built by Chris". He asked me if I wanted it. I gave it to him.

We sold around 20 tea sets and several other knick knacks.

My criteria, does it mean something to ME? otherwise, it is just stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom