Is Reloading Really Worth It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I know its worth it but I have a few questions. Im really interested in how much money reloading can save you. .45 ammo is through the roof and I want to get a caliber I can shoot often and not sit on the shelf for $ reasons.I want to buy a .45acp 1911 but on a limited budget at this point in my life .45 ammo is not my best friend.

How much does it cost to reload .45 ammo from start to finish for 100rnds? (ie primers, bullets and powder but not the brass)

How much do primers, bullets, and powder cost individually?

How many times can you reload brass?

Lastly, should I get a .45 and start reloading or get a 1911 9mm and just plink with the cheap wallyworld ammo in all my guns? (i want to be a 1911 purist but $ talks.....loudly)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you like the 1911 platform maybe try a .22 conversion for it. I know that doesn't answer your question reguarding reloading but the .22 conversions are a bunch of fun. I have a Marvel conversion and I've heard good things about the Advantage Arms units.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you like the 1911 platform maybe try a .22 conversion for it. I know that doesn't answer your question reguarding reloading but the .22 conversions are a bunch of fun. I have a Marvel conversion and I've heard good things about the Advantage Arms units.

This!!!! .22 conversions are a BLAST!!

As far as the reloading goes GC and I did a cost analysis but it's been 3 or 4 years ago. At that time it cost us roughly a little less than half to reload than it did to buy the cheapest factory loads out there (read: aluminum cased Blazer) in both 9mm and .45 cal. We were both shooting a lot of competitions at the time and found a Dillon 550 on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse. That thing paid for itself in about a month IIRC.

You can go to Powder Valley's website to get a feel for primer and powder costs. I can't recommend J&K's lead bullets highly enough. You'll not go wrong with Mitch's bullets.

I've never counted how many times we reload our brass. It will get thin on the edge. You can see and feel it. Those pieces I just leave on the range floor and move on. My best guess is we get 3 or 4 reloads outta of a casing though.

Obviously the cost of reloading 9mm is gonna be cheaper than .45 so it's really just a matter of what you want to spend.

Hope this helps.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Back during the great ammo/primer scare of O'10, didn't someone post a thread on the actual cost breakdown on reloading. Figures showed cost recoup on equipment by calibre. You can save a lot but, if you don't enjoy the actual process of reloading and take it seriously (follow all the rules), it may be better for you to get the best priced ammo you can find.

Ronk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can save a lot but, if you don't enjoy the actual process of reloading and take it seriously (follow all the rules), it may be better for you to get the best priced ammo you can find.

+1 on this...I reload to save money and I really enjoy it. You can spend a bunch of time doing it, but if you don't enjoy doing it it can feel too much like "work". It is a good feeling when you make ammo that is tailored to your gun and shoots better than some factory stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom